Forty Three

Forty Three

Damon and I finally entered the house. Damon kept me close as we walked through the house until we found pretty much everyone sitting in the living room. Lily and Adam were sitting on the love seat whilst Charlotte sat wedged between Natalie and my mother on the opposite sofa.

Shane and Christian had just moved into the kitchen whilst Charlie and Adrian overlooked everyone as they drank from their beer bottles.

When I stepped in, I focused my eyes on Charlotte and my mother. " Can we talk? " I asked.

Charlotte gave my mum and Natalie an uneasy smile as she stood up.

Damon lifted my hand up and kissed my skin softly.

We moved into the study and sat down on the sofa.

" Are you mad at me?" Charlotte asked instantly.

I looked at her bewildered.

" Why would I be mad at you Charlotte? I'm just confused " I tell her because honestly that is how I'm feeling.

" I know, I feel bad for keeping secrets from you but please know that at the time I had to"

What could this possibly be about?

I took a deep breath. " You're making me feel bad now. Is it something I did?" I asked.

"Oh god no, you didn't do anything." she said as she reached for my hand.

I sat back and waited for her to finally tell me what I've missed.

" The thing is, when we finished school and you left for London I did something bad and got myself in trouble with my mother"

Charlotte took a breath. " I slept with a guy and I really thought I was pregnant. I had to tell my mother but she went ballistic at me and said all sorts of things and basically disowned me"

My lips parted in disbelief.

" What, she did that for real?" I asked in complete disbelief that a mother would go as far as disowning their own child.

Charlotte nodded. " Yeah she did," She said with saddened eyes.

" Are you speaking now?" I asked.

The shake of her head was enough to make me want to cry for her.

I instantly pulled her into my arms. " I'm so sorry Charlotte, I can't believe I brought you here to the family. You must feel so uncomfortable " I tell her.

She pulls away. " Hey, no it's more than okay Sky. You have to know that your family has meant a lot more to me over the years. Your mother was an angel when my mum refused to talk to me. That's why she reacted the way she did when I arrived here"

I sighed. This made a lot more sense.

" Why didn't she tell me, I should've been here for you Charlotte I'm so sorry that I wasn't a better friend"

" I begged her not to say anything. I didn't want to stress you out anymore especially with Damon leaving "

I grabbed her hand in mine. " I still wanted to be here for you"