Chapter 44 - Eye Witness (Edited)

DANIEL

By the time I got home, arrangements had already started to be made as I watched the helps set up a large white linen tablecloth on the outside dining area which overlooked the pool area and the garden in the other side.

Six White and Gold outlined chairs were set up on two sides of the long rectangular table and two slightly bigger chairs of the same design were out at the head of the table with only one at the other end.

I was beginning to wonder if this was just a family bonding dinner or a family get together dinner from the way everything was going so fast and we still had 4 hours before the start time.

I walked deeper into the house passing the living room where my dad sat on the long sofa and not really watching the business report being shown on tv as he was on another business call speaking Spanish and looking really annoyed with whosoever was on the other end of the line.

I walked as quietly as possible though there was no way he wouldn't notice me as I went to take the stairs.

I gave him a nod of acknowledgment and he looked at me briefly before raising a finger for me to hold on.

"Está bien, 40 millones está bien. Mi asistente se comunicará contigo más tarde. Tengo que irme ahora. Adios" He hung up and muttered something about hating long business calls under his breath before looking at me.

"I noticed you've changed for some time now..." My father said looking at me briefly before glancing shortly to the TV then back at me.

"You've been doing quite better lately and that's good" My dad said now fixing his gaze at me.

"Yeah-, I mean- Uh Thanks" I said shifting uncomfortable where I stood as I remembered my life after the messy breakup I had and how I changed after I met someone better, Marc.

"Does it have to do with that boy? What's his name again?" He snapped his fingers in an effort to remember and then he did.

"Marc?" He asked looking at me intently like he knew something.

"N-No-... I-... he-... nothing's going on between us" Hell to the No was I gonna admit to my dad that I had a thing going on with the assistant he got me and equally coming out too. At least not yet.

Wait a minute.

Am I gay?

I haven't even thought about this at all.

"I never asked if anything is going on?" My fathers voice made me flinch a little as it snapped me back to reality.

He raised an eyebrow at me and tilting his head a little.

"Oh" I said taking a few steps back.

"I have some school work I really have to finish before the dinner and it's so important I really have to get started immediately" I said increasing the distance between us as I was halfway up the stairs.

"Niños estos días" My dad said and that was the last thing I heard before I closed the door.

That was a close one. I let out a heavy sigh as I dropped my bag on my table and as my eyes caught sight of the bed, it immediately registered upon me how exhausted I was and so I crawled in and made myself comfortable before sleep took over.