(Chapter Two.)

Chapter Two

I stood there, trying to think of what to say to him. What did he mean by that? That he can't believe I still live here, he thought I would move? Or he wishes that I wasn't here? I just pushed it aside; he's just surprised to see me! It's been way too long. I smiled again, “I can't believe it's you, Hermes. I thought I'd never see you again.”

“Yeah, well, fate has its funny ways of working.” He said.

Oh, you have no idea… I thought, opening my mouth to say something, but he spoke again.

“Why are you wearing glasses?” he asked. “You have perfect vision; you sat in the back of class and still see everything on the board.”

My cheeks blushed hard and I cleared her throat while I slid the fake glasses off my face, “Oh, um, I read a lot of books. But what about you?” I asked. “Do you have contacts now or—”

He cut me off when he closed his locker, “Look, Jaycee, I have to get to class. See you around.” He said as he walked passed me.

I turned around with my mouth hanging open a little, “Oh, um, okay. See you later.” I said a little stunned. No hug? Nothing? We were such great friends, I always imagine us seeing each other again with hugs and smiles and talking about how each other lives have been. But nothing. Nada.

It made me frown. Is my Hermes still the same guy?

*

(Hermes)

I walked into class, trying to seem calm and normal like I haven't just seen the girl who was a good and bad part of my life. Damn girl had always been the nice girl—at least to me. I remember one time on the playground, one kid was messing with me and when he was done and Jaycee found out, she pushed him off the swings and kicked him. She was always getting in trouble because of me.

Because I was a wimp. A loser. A coward. Well, I’m not anymore! I can take care of myself and I don't need Jaycee Russo ever to fight my battle again!

God, it didn't help that I had the hugest crush on her either.

I sat down in the back while more students pile in. Many of them tried to talk to me, but I whispered in Latin a spell for them to not notice me. Not to care for my existence. It worked—on most of them. I still had a few giving me curious glances. I'm not a strong Warlock yet, my powers are still growing. I'm amazed I could grab most of the attention in the hallway. It was pretty cool, wasn't it? How I made them get out of my way. I was already pissed off about the damn bus and dragging my ass into school, I was not going to fight my way through the hallways.

I tried not to think of Jaycee. I didn't think it could be possible, but she just got so much more beautiful? How could some girl be that beautiful? She was so cute—I always thought she would turn into one of those dumb girls who were into their selves, but she just seems so laid back.

I'll have to get in her head later to see what it's been like for the last couple of years. And then I'll cast a spell for her to leave me along for the next two years.