(Chapter Thirty-Six.)

(Hermes)

I smiled awkwardly at some of Jaycee males cousin who were giving me a 'I got my eyes on you' look as I grabbed two soda from an ice cooler. I turned around quickly and walked back over to Jaycee who was sitting on a lawn chair, her knees up to her chest. I pulled my chair closer to her and opened her can, “Here, you need sugar in your body.”

“I'm not thirsty.” she said as she scratched her arm. “God, I look like a heroin addicted don't I?”

“No, you're still to gorgeous to look like one.” I said, making a small smile appear on her face. She had dark bag under her eyes though, her nose was a little runny, and her eyes really wet. Hair looked dull still and skin was pale, but a little color was coming back. Her slightly hallow cheeks were slightly more plump again. “The darkness is just draining out of your body, of course your going to feel miserable until it's gone. The side affects is rough, the hard part was earlier in the day and that's over. ”

She ran her hands threw her hair and squeezed her eyes shut, “They won't leave me alone, Hermes. I can see many family members of mine here from different generations. Why haven't they gone away? Make them shut up!” she yelled as the palm of her hands covered her ears and it went quiet as everyone in her family went quiet and looked at her. Jaycee started crying as she covered her face as her arms crossed over her knees. I put the can of sodas down and wrapped my arm around her shoulder, pulling her in my chest.

I brought my other hand around to put it behind her head, cradling it as everyone finally looked away but even I could hear that's why they're not doing magic so they don't end up like Jaycee. I felt Jaycee tense in my arms, but she didn't yell at them. I leaned down towards her ear to whisper, “It's alright Jaycee, you're doing fine.”

I felt her nails on my stomach and she was scratching, “Hermes, please, I just need to do something! I can take that aching feeling anymore. I feel like every part of my body is having a spasm.” she said. “They're talking about me, like I’m a horrible person.”

“I'm sure they don't mean it like that.” I said. “You're paranoid right now, no one is talking about you.” Even though some were, I just wanted to make her feel better. They were talking about her, but I had to comfort her. They were only using her as example of why they told their kids not to do magic and they hope for her recovery to finish sooner so she wouldn't be in so much pain. “You're family loves you, Jaycee. We all love you. It's not like you wanted this, you had to help someone and it was forced on you. You didn't do anything wrong.”

“Let me do one little thing, that won't hurt.” she said.

“No, no magic.” I said. “Not even the most smallest magic trick, you can't.”

She pulled away from me and stood up, running her hand threw her dark long hair, “I-I need to some air.” she said as she turned and quickly walked away.

I got up and followed her since I know shouldn't leave her alone as she walked into the forest. I stood behind her a few feet and her hands were clenching and clenching as she spoke to herself, saying she can do this and it'll be over soon. As she walked, she put one arm out and scratching her fingers against a tree. I looked at it, seeing deep scratch marks of her three nails.

“Is it really that hot out here?” she asked.

“Yes.” I said, but I wanted to say no. If I disagreed, she wouldn't have gotten anger.

She turned to me and scoffed, “I need to do something, one thing.”

I shook my head, “No, Jaycee. It's dangerous. Think about it.” I said.

She pressed her hands against my chest and groaned, “Stop telling me what to do!”

I quickly wrapped my arms around her, pressing her against my chest, “Shh, relax. It's going to be alright.” I said as I petted her head.