(Chapter Twenty-Four)

I have never had such a quiet dinner before. At my house, my brother and dad would be making stupid joke, my mom laughing even though she knows my father isn't as funny as he use to be, and I would going off about how stupid everyone at my school is. Here, at Hermes family, everyone was sitting around the table quiet and awkwardly eating their mother and wife pork dumplings, rice, and fish dinner. I'm pretty sure it's not like this always though, it's because they feel weird with their guest sitting next to Hermes.

I was trying to figure out how to these chopsticks in my hand though to act as if there was nothing weird but I was failing at using them as I couldn't feel Hermes brother and sister watch me, his parents would look at me every now and then. His father—gosh, Hermes is a spiting image of him. Short curly blond hair, strong face, nice golden tan, and tall. Hermes father wears glasses on his face, which doesn't take away any of him being handsome. I wish Hermes would wear his glasses, it'll be like old times maybe.

“Do you want a fork?”, Hermes asked, whispering in my ear.

“No!”, I said, maybe a little to loud and hard. I was just determine to use them and succeed, but I think as more time pass, I was just looking like an idiot. “Sorry.”, I apologized to everyone who had their eyes on me.

After trying one more time to pick the dumpling up and it just dropping, I put one of the stick down, and stabbed the other stick into the dumpling and put it in my mouth.

“Wait, Jaycee, it's hot—“, Hermes went to warn me but I just sat there and chewed on the dumpling. I could feel the steam in my mouth, but it wasn't really hot to me. I have eaten much hotter things then a little dumpling.

I grinned as I swallowed it, “Relax, I think I would know if I had to blow on my food or not.”

It went back to being quiet as I ate my dumpling with one stick and I stupidly picked up some rice with my hands when I realized how unlady like that was. In my family, eating food with our hands was pretty normal even though I can see my mom OCD and not approve, but deals with it. I don't know how Hermes family is, they probably think I'm some. . .animal.

Oh. . .

I decided not to take another bite of rice as I smiled awkwardly and turned my head right, sighing heavily. I'm an idiot.

I have never felt so uncomfortable like I did right now. I just want to be home with my crazy family right now. Hermes can come along to, I have no problem with that.

“So, uuhh, Jaycee,” Hermes dad, Troy, began awkwardly as he cleared his throat. “You're family has lived in Nash for a long time, huh?”

“Yeah, ever since my great-great grandfather Jamie moved here after the first war.”, I said.

“Oh, you're family been in the war?”, he asked. “His group must have been lucky to have it.”

I smiled a little and shrugged, “I guess so.”

“Are you really a wolf?”, Hermes little brother, Joshua, asked. He was an adorable blond nine year old who kind of reminded me of Hermes at his age. “Ma has told us about you, she says your family is cursed.”

“Joshua!”, Hermes, his father, and mom said loudly in a warning tone.

“Idiot.”, Hermes sister, Isabelle, mumbled under her breath as she ate some rice.

“What?”, he asked, shrugging his shoulders innocently. “I have only met one wolf before and she looked pretty human to me.”

“She is human and so is Jaycee.”, Hermes said to his brother. “They're both just half wolf to.”