thinking of you

Wanda had a point

Wanda had a point. It wasn't like you didn't see it coming. Your friends even did their best to warn you. You were just in denial. You were just refusing to believe that you gave up your innocence to someone who barely cared for you after they took what they needed. A quick fuck.

The endless romantic books you had read and films you had watched were all to blame for this. Nothing prepared you that no one would be lucky enough to meet their soulmate right there and then. You used to never believe in all these stuff. And somehow, you wished you stayed that way. It is true then - to feel things so deeply is both a blessing and a curse.

It would have been nice though if you didn't think too much about what happened between you and Wanda, if you weren't affected by her.

But Wanda filled your head through the days that followed. Your middle finger smudged the charcoal traced on the piece of paper before you, giving some shadows underneath Wanda's eyes, to make it seem like they were moving.

"What are you drawing?" A little boy's voice made you jump from the couch in the living room.

"She's really pretty," a girl added.

You immediately hid the sketches of Wanda you had been drawing for the past days since the last encounter, closing your notebook from the children peering behind you.

"None of your business...," you snided. "What are you doing here? I said finish your lunch."

Then you stood up and led them to the dining room, back to their seats. "But we have already eaten our lunch," the boy complained.

"Yeah, but ice cream and chips don't count as food, okay?" you advised. "Plus, dad's gonna freak out if he finds out our secret agreement, do you want to stop our arrangement that you can get to eat ice cream and chips every time I'm around?"

Your stepsiblings Johnny and Sue both shook their heads no as they went to continue eating the food on their plates.

It was a Saturday when your dad asked you to babysit the kids while he and your stepmom had gone to a lunch meeting with their clients. They had this small business they started on their own after their marriage. Your dad still worked at his previous company except during weekends, where he promised Jane, his second wife and now your stepmom, to dedicate his time selling vintage cars. You never figured out the reason why, you had never really known your father to have a sudden interest in cars. But maybe it was Jane's.

You couldn't complain, Jane was nice although you were still getting used to calling her your second mom. And she loved your dad so you settled for what was best for everyone. You had no problem welcoming her in your life as much as she had.

Besides, it was only two years ago when your dad remarried. You went to the wedding too, having no idea Johnny and Sue, who were seven and five years old now, respectively, existed.