but you're not okay

There was a flash of blinding light in front of you as you stood frozen in the middle of the street, loud horns blaring from the source almost rendering you deaf

There was a flash of blinding light in front of you as you stood frozen in the middle of the street, loud horns blaring from the source almost rendering you deaf. It was all a blur after that.

Red hair. Green eyes. Then darkness.

Your eyes then fluttered open.

You found yourself at an empty table inside a familiar cafeteria, but it wasn't the university's. You had no idea how you got there but you knew you had been admitted into the mental institution for almost a year now, having blackouts every now and then.

Today's lunch specialty was Lasagna and Parfait for dessert, since most of the current residents in the place had their birthdays that day. A plate full of said pasta and some pineapple juice box remained untouched before you.

You thought about what the distant memory of red hair and green eyes was about but it was too far in the depths of your mind that you couldn't manage to dig through. After months of getting admitted, you learned that you had lost grasp of your own reality and couldn't deal with the real world anymore, something you still hadn't figured out as you stayed in the facility. As part of the healing process, you weren't visited by your family or friends for so long, you began to wonder how they were since you had been gone.

"I swear Broccoli is flirting with me," a guy an inch taller sat across from you at the table, placing a tray of food he got from the counter. He was followed by a girl older than you, a glass of Parfait in her hands.

Being separated from the outside world, you had made some friends in there too. And they were amazing, never thinking you'd finally felt yourself belong. Kiwi and Peach. And some boy named Fig who just got transferred to a different facility.

Funny names. Actually, you were christened with the name Persimmon because you were asking the doctor what he was eating on your first day there, him deciding that was what he would call you from that day on. To remain anonymity, the patients were named based on fruits while the staff and doctors were named from vegetables.

Peach was a dreamer, she had been admitted longer than you and Kiwi after she had attempted suicide or pretended she did, you couldn't remember. Although, a part of you couldn't figure out if she was lying or not. She just seemed so happy that it was truly a wonder what hell was going through inside her head.

Kiwi was also a newbie like you. Newbies was what you classified those patients who hadn't stayed for more than a year. He kept on flirting with the lunch lady, Broccoli, at the facility's cafeteria, suddenly wondering how he still got confidence after having a mental breakdown when his short term girlfriend broke up with him.

"What about you, Y/n?" Peach teased. "Any luck with Basil?"

A laugh came out of your mouth as you continued to play with your food, shaking your head at your friend's silly insinuation. You still had not opened up to Basil, your therapist, for weeks now though. Even when you couldn't find yourself to answer, she only kept on asking you how you were doing, how the activities in the facility were for your liking, how nice the environment was. You had opened up to Kale before, your previous theraphist, but when Basil turned over since his wife got pregnant, you suddenly found hesitation to share, never wanting to repeat what you had just said. Maybe, Basil's methods were a bit soft, mentally complaining why she couldn't just read about your profile information to start with.