it's going to be okay

It's going to be okay

That had been your mantra for weeks now since the haunting revelation your dad told you. It still shook you to the bones that you sometimes found yourself wishing you didn't just go to said dinner with Wanda.

How cruel the universe must be, when you finally found the one for you, who loved you just the same, only to be connected to the only reason why you hated lawyers so much. You wanted to see it through just like what you did with Christine's choice of profession. But this was a different case. There was a direct cohesive relation between you and Wanda's dad.

You should really be mad at the suspect only, the drunk driver who had caused all this misery. But no. The lawyer he had was so good, you considered him an accomplice.

All the happy times that you had spent with the guy made you so much guilty, it became unbearable to a point where your nightmares had gotten worse.

You filled yourself with distractions just to avoid having any empty schedule in your day to be able to think about your own mother and about what Wanda's father did. These consisted of work, studies for the coming semester and the never-ending sex with the redhead.

You went on with your life with Wanda as if the family dinner never happened. That you didn't just find out how much you hated her dad.

But your girlfriend noticed, of course. How there had been a tension slowly building between you and her, consuming you every day with guilt and conscience until no one amount of love was left, making you scared about losing Wanda in the process.

Wanda was not her father, you knew that. And you loved her above limits. But there were things in life that we didn't actually deserve. Good things never lasted. Or they were just too good to be true. And you got terrified if that was it, the beginning of the end of your relationship.

The lies started when Wanda grew worried after the visit, asking numerous times if your father liked her or not, and what you and him talked about when you went inside his study office. You assured her he did like her and he just had a question on how to use the printer he newly purchased. You hoped Wanda would let it go, after she sent a follow up question on why she could hear shoutings from the room, if you had a fight with him, but you went on with your lie, saying that your father was only impatient.

But she knew something was definitely wrong. Or she was getting there. Especially when Wanda would go visit your stepsiblings for another round of the games they persistently requested, you would time it perfectly when your dad would be away for business meetings. She would eventually notice.

You just hoped the inexplicable excuses you gave whenever Wanda asked you to go with her to meet her dad wouldn't give you away. You had listed any valid excuse you could find, so when your girlfriend would ask, you would immediately have a madeup excuse.

Fortunately, classes started and the list of valid excuses you had only expanded. You wanted to tell your friends about it because it was slowly consuming you, nightmares had become the usual every single night. Even when you were always lulled to sleep in Wanda's arms, it didn't help when your mother kept on shouting in your own head how much of a traitor you had been.