what is grief

Everything reminded you of Wanda

Everything reminded you of Wanda. Everywhere you went. Every sound you heard. Every song you listened to. Every picturesque place you saw. You missed every single thing about her. Even the littlest of things, such as the tiny snores she made when she fell asleep first or the way she would tuck a strand of your hair over your ear to get it out of the way when you were reading a book.

From the time you woke up to the time you slept, the redhead would still be there. Even in your dreams. Or nightmares of her making out with that girl or even more. Sometimes, you wouldn't have nightmares at all because you couldn't get yourself to sleep.

Your sheets and pillows still smelled of her that sometimes, you found yourself hugging them, imagining that you were hugging her, imagining that everything was still okay, that you and Wanda were still okay.

How do people recover from this if they were in your shoes? Do they forgive the sinner? And if they did, do they forget what the sinner did and live on happy together?

You wanted to forgive Wanda. You did. Especially when she didn't stop apologizing. Countless texts, missed calls, flowers, cupcakes, letters that she slipped through your door or through your friends, sticky notes on your books, and many more. She had always cornered you when you went to your classes or after you finished your shift at Loki's store. She even slipped some messages through your co-worker Carol, whom she had befriended as well.

But every single time the words 'I forgive you' were already at the tip of your tongue, you'd remember the cheating image of Wanda and how she got the hickey that was literally gone now.

When your friends found out, they didn't leave you alone. Even Pepper offered to sleep in your dorm room some nights when you couldn't bear it.

"Did I overreact?" you found yourself asking Pepper one night when she slept over. "Should I forgive Wanda?"

You and your friend were laying on the bed, your back at her. You heard shuffling behind you and a soft sigh. Turning to face Pepper, you saw her staring blankly ahead at the ceiling.

"Do you think she's telling the truth?" you whispered, going on. "That she was just too drunk and she didn't know what the girl was doing?"

Her eyes then met mine before she spoke. "You didn't overreact, Y/n... You... You had a right to feel these things. She cheated on you... You did the right thing, actually..."

"But I missed her," you gasped, eyes suddenly began teary. So you faced the ceiling instead and blinked your eyes repeatedly to stop the offending liquid from falling. "So much..."

You felt Pepper's arm wrapped around your waist as she laid her head near your shoulder. "I know... I've been through this too..."

What she said made you stop thinking. "What... What do you mean?"

Pepper let out another sigh before she went on. "Tony and I broke up."

Pulling away from the woman, you straightened to a sit on the bed after switching the bed lamp on. Dim light bursted through the entire room and you could make out your friend's somewhat reddish eyes beside you.