the heart wants what it wants

The Lilies were only a start

The Lilies were only a start. Other things such as your coffee for the day, poems you knew Christine searched through Google but you were too touched to care, and endless bouquets of flowers throughout the week, which only ended when you told her you didn't want the redhead to purge all of her savings for material things.

But Christine said she didn't mind. As long as she could put some redness into your cheeks when she gave you those. And redness was an understatement. Your heart melted from her actions, making your brain always forget to function.

You were not used to be the receiver. So you had no idea how this would end. Would you kiss Christine or ask her to be your girlfriend? Or would you wait for her to do that herself?

You didn't want the redhead to keep on spending money for you. Or going for all the troubles, asking what flavor of cupcakes you liked from Peter, or watching the films or listening to the music you loved based on what she overheard when Loki first interviewed you for work. Your friends teasing you about it wasn't helping your case, especially when they kept on mentioning Christine in Wanda's presence, only to be ignored by the latter redhead, oblivious of the inside joke.

But wasn't that what you wanted? To be chased like that?

It was. But maybe from a different redhead.

It wasn't that you didn't like Christine, she wasn't unlikeable. She had no problems making you blush and smile in just a matter of seconds.

On the other hand, the other redhead, sitting before you on one of your study sessions in the library, brows furrowed deep in concentration as she highlighted a line in her book, the highlighter you got for her, still made your heart beat like crazy and your stomach filled with butterflies.

You figured you still hadn't moved on. No one could just move on that easily just because others had shown interest. And it would be wrong and unfair to accept Christine's advances and gestures when your heart was still occupied by Wanda herself.

People always chased the love they want, a love that didn't exist. And tend to ignore the ones that did.

If it was Christine you ended up sleeping with on your first College party, then you wouldn't even be having this dilemma.

It had been your mission since then. To bury the feelings you still have for Wanda even deeper than before, as if the six feet under wouldn't suffice. You wanted to just look at Wanda and not feel anything. You even started not to bring the yellow green highlighter she always used in the library. But you couldn't help feeling guilty when you saw the look of disappointment on her face so you offered your orange highlighter instead, and she used it as ecstatic as before.

You could avoid the library, but being an Accountancy student didn't give you that much freedom, for you were burdened with a lot of things to study.

Days quickly flew by, and you tried not to mind how Wanda would attempt to make small conversations with you. It wasn't even that noteworthy. She would just talk about the weather, the score she got from one of her exams or the food they served at the cafeteria. Any word she uttered was like fuel to your burning heart.