Parseltongue & Fights-Harry Really Really Really Likes Snakes

Percy Weasley was known for being high strung. He knew most of his siblings thought he was bossy but he just had standards. He didn't mean to come across as condescending but sometimes he couldn't help it. It didn't help that he was following in his older brother's footsteps. He wasn't cool like Bill or sporty like Charlie so he had to find something he could excel at. Something to get his parents attention. So he turned to school work. As long as he studied hard, he could reach the top. It didn't matter that he never got enough sleep or sometimes skipped meals, he was determined to shine in his own way. So on the first day back he was already holed up in the library. He had skipped dinner but he was trying to add two more inches to his potions essay. The sound of someone sitting down distracted him from his next sentence. Looking up he saw Marcus Flint across from him holding a sandwich.
"What are you doing? You're not allowed to have food in the library!" He whispered, trying to avoid Madam Pince. The witch was very protective of her books.
"It's fine. And it's for you." Marcus said, handing it over. Percy was confused. The larger boy had practically manhandled him onto the train and now he's bringing him food? Did he think he was too poor to afford food? Percy felt his temper flare. He knew what other purebloods thought of his family.
"No thank you! I don't need your charity." He hissed out and tried to continue his essay. Marcus reached over and grabbed his essay.
"It's not charity, it's a sandwich. I've noticed you skip meals and that's not good for you." The Slytherin boy explained. He'd been watching him? Percy tried not to be creeped out but couldn't help it. He discreetly tried to look around and noticed they seemed to be the only ones in the library. Probably because everyone else was at dinner. He was an idiot! Marcus was going to murder him now and he would be left to haunt the library! How pathetic.
"I don't know what crazy thoughts you're thinking but whatever it is, it's not true." Marcus said. Percy stared at him.
"You've been watching me."
"Yes." Marcus nodded his head.
"You've noticed my eating habits."
"Yes. Oh you don't seem to get enough sleep either." He commented back. Percy gripped his chair. Why did Marcus notice these things? No one else ever did. Sometimes he thought they didn't care enough to notice. He was always so responsible, he thought to himself sarcastically. Why would anyone be worried about him?
"Percy Weasley!" Marcus barked out.
"It seems I have to be blunt." Percy just stared at him? About what?
"I like you. I was wondering if you would like to go to Hogsmead with me." Marcus was staring into his eyes as he asked. Percy's mind went blank before he felt his jaw drop. Marcus was asking him out? Not trying to murder him?
"Oh!" He looked the other boy up and down. He was actually considering it. Marcus had shown he was thoughtful and considerate.
"Is that a yes or a no?" Marcus asked.
"Yes. I would love to go to Hogsmead with you!" Percy said loudly causing Madam Pince to pop up and reprimand him for bringing food in the library. As she kicked them out, he couldn't help the grin on his face.

~~~~~~

Harry was sitting at his House table with Draco. They had decided to sit the beginning of the week with Hufflepuff and the end of the week with Slytherin. That way none of their friends would feel neglected.
"I still can't believe he stole your dad's cloak and then had the audacity to enchant it!" Once they got back to Hogwarts, Pansy had fed the rumor mill with Dumbledore slander. The Hufflepuffs had been furious. The Headmaster had already targeted one of their own and now he does this? They would not stand for it! By the second day back, half the House had written home to their parents. Harry was annoyed that the Headmaster was so interested in him but he really didn't care. He was old so he would probably die off soon enough. And if he didn't? Well Harry would send Kreacher to scare the man and hopefully give him a heart attack. Speaking of Kreacher, he had given him a letter last night for his granny. He hoped she liked it! He had made sure to write all the latest gossip in it. He figured it must be pretty boring as a painting. Hermione dropped down beside him.
"Draco you owe me 2 galleons! Marcus asked Percy out and he said yes!" Draco let out a swear and handed the money over.
"You were betting on their love life?" Harry said disapprovingly. That was rather rude. It was a personal matter!
"Yes, my heart. We knew they would end up together, just not when. I bet on Valentine's Day." Draco said.
"I bet after we go back from winter break. I figured Marcus could only wait around so long before making a move." Hermione's hair seemed to grow an extra inch as she oozed smugness. He still couldn't believe how confident she had gotten since they became friends.
"Thank you for that, Granger." Marcus said as he plucked the money out of her hands. "This will get Percy and I ice cream after our date." He strutted away, heading for the Gryffindor table.
"He looks ridiculous." Draco said as he watched him go and scooped another spoon of pudding on Harry's plate.
"Yes, he's the one who looks ridiculous." Justin said, giving Draco a look.
"Draco, I heard Gemma Farley has a snake! May I see it?" Harry loved snakes. He wished he knew he could have broken the pet rule. He would have gotten one in an instant.
"I didn't know you liked snakes Harry! Personally, I think they're scaly worms." Draco said. Scaly worms? That was so offensive! He couldn't believe Draco said that. Harry gave him a dirty look and Draco looked heartbroken.
"Harry?" Draco asked.
"You shouldn't call them that Draco! They don't like it." Harry reprimanded him. Draco looked confused.
"What do you mean they don't like it?"
"I'll show you! Let's go see Gemma Farleys's snake!" Harry got up and stomped away with Draco trailing behind him. Hermione shared a look with the rest of the Hufflepuffs. Poor Draco.

~~~~

Draco didn't know what to do! Harry was mad at him and he had never been mad at him before! He looked at him from the corner of his eye and saw that Harry was scowling and still stomping his feet. Draco admitted that Harry looked lovely even when mad. They made it halfway to the dungeons when he couldn't take it anymore.
"Harry my love, please tell me what I did to upset you! Was it the snake comment? I didn't mean to call them worms! They're just kind of slimy and I've always connected them to worms because neither one has legs and-" Draco knew he was prattling on but couldn't stop himself.
"Snakes were my first friends!" Harry cut in. What?
"I would weed the garden everyday and talk to the snakes there. They would listen to my problems and eat mice." Harry's face looked furious. "But Aunt Petunia thought they were nasty too. She had Uncle Vernon get rid of them" Harry words were hissed like a snake. Draco gathered Harry into his arms.
"I'm sorry, darling. I didn't know. I won't insult them again." Harry seemed to calm down before replying.
"I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have gotten so angry but I couldn't help it. Aunt Petunia never let me have anything. If I showed that I liked anything, she would take it away. No matter what." Draco knew Harry's muggle Aunt was foul but he didn't realize how deep Harry's trauma went. He still hadn't told him everything but Draco treasured every secret Harry shared with him. Draco was determined to do right by Harry and he would make sure that foul woman would kiss a Dementor. It might take time but he would not allow her to keep haunting Harry like this.
"Now, why don't we go see a snake?"
As they walked into his common room, he looked around for Farley. She wasn't there but he hadn't seen her at dinner. Asking one of the upper years, they said she was in her room. Boys weren't allowed in girls' dorms so he had Pansy go get her.
"What do you need, Malfoy? I'm studying for my Newts!" She had dark circles under her eyes and her hair was a mess.
"We would like to see your snake." He told her. She stared at him and silently walked away. He looked at Harry and he looked as confused as he was. She came back a couple of minutes later with a green snake. It was about the size of his forearm.
"Here. Be nice to her." And walked away. Harry gave a squeal and said "look how beautiful she is Draco! Her scales are absolutely glowing! And look at her eyes! Stunning!" As Harry continued to gush about the snake, Draco realized he would have to have the elves add an extra room off his bedroom. He would be buying Harry all of the snakes he could get his hands on. Watching Harry, he realized how happy he looked. His hair looked soft in the candlelight and his eyes were sparkling with joy. Then he started hissing at the snake and the snake started hissing back. Merlin's saggy balls!
"Harry, you can talk to snakes?"