CHAPTER 4

She stared at the phone number written in rough handwriting on a worn out bulletin board beside an old empty stall, a homeless man sleeping on top of its wooden counter. The way the number is written in black ink made it seem like it was scratched out by the claws of a monster with its sharp, broken and solid strokes--like a font style you'd often see in horror movie posters. Although the writing seemed old, it looked like even time wasn't able to erase it.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

She flinched at the old man's groggy voice, just realizing how deep in thought she was unconsciously as she stared at the phone number. Nilingon niya ito and saw its beady little olive green eyes staring at her. Marumi at gusot-gusot na ang suot nitong kulay berdeng t-shirt at khaki shorts na halatang may mga tahi sa iilang parte. Naka-dekwatro ito habang nakahiga sa counter ng maliit na tindahan at nakaharap sa kaniya. Ang kaliwang kamay ay nakasuporta sa likod ng ulo nito habang nakahiga at pinagmamasdan siya.

She held the hood of the oversized black jacket she's wearing and pulled it down even more to hide her face, kahit na nakasuot na siya ng maskara na natatakpan ang pangibabang kalahati ng mukha niya, "W-what are you talking about? Do what?"

"Call the devil," the old man smirked, revealing his stained and unaligned teeth, "You're not from these parts, aren't you?"

Magsasalita na sana siya nang muli siyang nagitla nang makarinig ng ingay ng natumbang basurang yari sa metal. She raised her eyes beyond the old man and saw a brown cat standing in front of a fallen trash can with its right paw raised from the ground, its big blue eyes staring alertly at them before it continued to run away.

Napahinga siya ng malalim bago muling ibinalik ang tingin sa matandang pulubi na tumatango-tango habang pinagmamasdan siya, "Leave, little missy. You don't belong here. And a piece of advice," paalala niya pa bago tumagilid ng higa, his back now facing her, "No matter how desperate you become, never contact that phone number. You're risking more than what you're bargaining for," he yawned, closing his eyes, "And it always doesn't end well for people like you."

Ilang sandali siyang hindi umimik, staring at his back. The old man could feel her eyes bore a hole into the back of his head, feeling a sense of deja vu swept through his mind and body.

He definitely experienced these all before... and it always ends the same. If his instincts proved him correct, then he predicts that...

"D-do you know more about that phone number?" she asked, her hands curled on top of her chest.

He scoffed, slightly opening his eyes, "And they always never listen."

Oh, well. He already went out of his way to warn her and he definitely won't want to miss out on an opportunity.

He turned to his other side, this time, facing her habang ginagawang unan ang sariling kaliwang braso. Ipinagkiskis niya ang hinlalaki at hintuturo sa kaniyang libreng kamay, gesturing her of what he wants in return of what she's asking for.

Wala nang libre sa panahon ngayon.

The woman understood what he meant and quickly took out a few paper bills out of her pocket. After she handed him the money, umupo ang matanda sa counter sabay nag-indian sit, meticulously flipping the edge of the paper bills with his fingers, "Since you're already here, you probably know whose phone number that belongs to."

"N-Naois," she stuttered, "N-Naois Ivanov. 2nd Mafia Executive of The Phoenix Mafia."

She shivered when the cold evening wind blew, bringing with it a sensation of doom. Even nature came warning her, but she's already firm with her decisions. Nobody can stop her anymore. She's tired already.