CHAPTER 32

TRIGGER WARNING: implication and mention of suicide, massacre.

The four-year old Naois Ivanov yawned as he sat on the snow-covered backyard of the mansion--the grass seemingly being wrapped with a thick, white and fuzzy blanket. But this blanket is cold to the point it could freeze the body of a person to death. But then again, he's already used to this type of coldness. Besides, he's wearing a beige-colored sweater and pink pajamas (that wasn't matching) so he should be fine.

He forgot how long he was sitting out there in the cold while he watched the snowflakes gently fall into the earth, into his hair, and his tongue that he sticks out to taste it from time to time. It doesn't taste like anything, it was just cold. He forgot how long he was there, but his hair and eyelashes are now almost frosted.

Umiinit na rin ang ulo, mukha at katawan niya--his body's now releasing heat to protect itself from the cold.

"I'm probably going to die if I don't get back inside," he thought, "That would be for the better though."

He closed his eyes as he sat there, unable to feel the snow drop on his skin as its already pale and frozen. But seconds later, he felt the light behind his closed eyelids vanished, like a shadow took over him. Then he felt something warm, fuzzy, and heated cover his entire being, leaving only a space for his eyes to see.

"Sir Naois."

He slowly opened his eyes, and there he saw those familiar hazel green orbs that reminded him of the color of the forest during a hot and sunny summer. It was the only color in the vast whiteness of pure coldness.

"I'll carry you back inside," she said in a low tone.

He remained quiet as he allowed her to carry him. He wrapped his legs around her torso, her arms around his small body and lifted him up. His head rested on her shoulder, his eyes slightly open as he watched the world around him move as she walked while carrying him.

"Were you planning to kill yourself because you now regret your actions rebelling against Sir Konstantin and the Madam?" she asked, so gently it soothed his mind but he didn't like her words.

"No," he wanted to answer but it only remained in his thoughts.

In the end, he just closed his eyes and shushed her as it was what he could only do at the moment for he feels so drained, tired and cold.

"Sshhh," you're so noisy.

Sahara glanced down at him, her lips formed into an upside down smile.

~ * ~

"Sahara, do you believe in gods?"

"No, I don't," she replied, so instant that it made him smile a little as he stared at the white ceilings of her room.

"Why is that so?"

Her dead eyes stared down at the dagger in her hand, its silver blade glimmered under the bright white lights, "I... can't."

"Why?"

"I just can't... anymore."

"Why?"

Pagod nito siyang tinitigan, "Do you believe in gods?"

"Yeah," he answered quickly, "But I don't worship them. I believe they're real, but I don't revere or adore them."

"Hmm," she nodded her head.

He turned on her bed, facing her as he lied down sideways while she sat down on the carpeted floor, "You're not really the curious type, aren't you?"

She shrugged her shoulders, "Not sticking my nose in everyone's business is safer."