CHAPTER 16

To defeat the devil, you must think and act like the devil.

But for how long can you actually pretend until you either turn into one or go insane?

"The reason why Naois Ivanov had his other name, 'Noah'? Why, you're one of the few who asks the most peculiar questions," his informant scoffed. Deep lines on his forehead and hair that have turned white served proof of the man's old age, "But also the most important."

The bounty hunter lowered his head, sharp grey eyes pierced at him, "Just answer the question... and don't even think about trying to trick me."

His informant's small eyes delicately looked at him, possessing an image of an old man once again encountering one of the many experiences he had faced in his rich and abundant life, and that he is no longer surprised of it.

Through the hunter's sharp yet shaking irises, subtle formation of sweat on the side of his face, the old man could sense that this bounty hunter is in the midst of losing his mind.

But then again, no sane person would ever dare to go after the fugitive that has a trillion riyal placed upon his head.

He quietly sighed, "There are known many reasons of why Ivanov got this name, all of which I can't say is true. Rumors, they say came directly from him, or made up by someone elsewhere."

"What are these rumors then?"

"First, they say he got this name simply because of his many whims. Second, 'Noah' served as his escape from his past and family who gave him the name 'Naois'."

"If he wanted to 'escape', then why not just change his name completely?"

"I am not sure, but there is also this rumor that he didn't want to let go of the name 'Naois'."

"Okay, please continue."

"Third, he got jealous because another Phoenix Mafia Executive got a new name from Zain Alexeev and so, he wanted a new one as well--"

"Which Executive?"

"Lazarus Augustus."

Lazarus Augustus? The Faceless Executive?

And now that he thinks about it, Noah and Lazarus are both names gotten from the Speculo.

"What else?"

"Fourth rumor, the name 'Noah' was given to him by someone special in his life, aside from Alexeev. Fifth..."

"Sooo~ for the first question. How did I got my other name 'Noah'?"

Tila tumigil ang takbo ng oras sa loob ng cafe. Walang katiting na ingay ang maririnig, the kind of silence that would make you feel nervous for thinking that you might be all alone, so suddenly.

The warm sunlight poured through the windows, softly illuminating the minimalistic grey and cream-colored interiors of the shop, like that of a 20th century painting.

To be exact, a painting of three men--ang dalawang lalaki na sina Matias at ang bounty hunter ay hindi makapaniwalang nakatitig kay Naois. To a stranger's eye, they would seem like three men simply sitting cozily on a coffee shop with a cup of hot choco and coffee on the table, not knowing their true identities. Not knowing the hot choco is poisoned. Not knowing of the dangers that lurk deep within what seemed to be a nice and peaceful painting.

'Oh, this is so fun,' Naois thought, bright electric blue eyes staring at his challenger expectantly with a small smile settled on his lips. His imagination running wild of what they look right now, 'So fun~'