35

Taking advantage of when the others were eating after class at noon, I hurriedly returned to the dorms to clean up my bed. The afternoon break was too short. If I was still rummaging through the cabinets when they came back to the dorms to sleep, it wouldn't be appropriate.

The school had two blocks of blended apartment buildings and two blocks of student dormitories. From the start, I had never lived in the school, so I hadn't chosen the apartments which had better conditions compared to the dorms that were more mediocre. After all, it cost only 180 won a year and there were eight beds and a table in one room. Luggage was stored in the cabinet behind the door. After having lived with someone as clean as my hyung for so long, now when I smelt the odour of dirty feet in the room, I actually found it rather familiar and intimate.

Because I never stayed here, my bed was used by those brothers of mine as a place to dump their stuff. I had just smoothed out the bed and hung up the mosquito net when my roommates walked into the room one after another, belching and picking at their teeth. When they saw me, they were surprised, "Holy fuck, the rich young master has come down to the countryside to experience the suffering of the people?"

I draped myself over the railing, "Do you have any food? Quick, help me."

They rummaged through the cupboards to help me gather food to eat. I held raw sausage instant noodles in my mouth as I gamed with them before napping. Jimin's facebook suddenly rang with a notification.

"Damn it, how annoying."

"Who was that?"

"Who else can it be; it must be his sweetheart."

"Fuck."

A few other roommates and I shushed him, "He's recording a voice note to send to her in the afternoon."

Jimin was dating a girl from Class Three. The two of them stuck to each other like glue, publicly displaying their affection every day. Soon, Jimin went offline in-game. I glanced at the upper bunk. He was video calling her, sighing as he murmured, Ah, I'm sorry baby, just now I was gaming and didn't see. Don't be angry anymore, baby.

All of us hooted, teasing him. There were only a few minutes left until the dorm in charge started patrolling so everyone went to sleep. Only I didn't sleep, zoning out as I lay in bed, staring at my phone. My hyung hadn't sent me a single message.

I wanted him to send me a message too and disturb me while I was gaming. I would purposely ignore him, but only for three minutes because I wouldn't be able to resist for longer than that. After that, he'd probably get cutely upset and blame me for not replying to his messages. Then I would patiently coax him over the phone, Baby, don't be upset anymore, I'm sorry.

Back to the main topic; I'd let it pass if my hyung just hadn't sent me a message, but when I asked him what he was doing, he didn't respond either. Tsk, pissing me off.

The afternoon break was only forty minutes long. The blistering hot and cramped dorm was already filled with the sound of snoring. I pillowed my head on my hand, zoning out. I really couldn't fall asleep. I fished out a collection of short stories by Edgar Allen Poe, belonging to Jimin, from under the bed to pass time. Murder mysteries were the best for taking up brain power to reduce the amount available for thoughts to run wild.

At night, my hyung took the initiative to call me. His voice sounded tired as he asked me if I had slept well. I truthfully replied that I hadn't.

"Darling, Hyung will bring you out to eat tomorrow." He kissed me through the phone and asked me to bear it for another day. Well, what else could I do? My girlfriend had even kissed me already, I couldn't be angry anymore.