The Start of New Semester

The Next Day
Main Building
Main Hall
(Y/N) POV

The opening ceremony for the second semester. I hate ceremony, but what can I do?

As my class was lining up, the Big 5 greeted us. I still can't remember their name. Well, it'll be a pain, anyway.

Student 1: It's been a while Class E.

Student 2: Well, I'm sure the second semester will be tough for you, too.

Student 3: Try not to be discouraged. Gishishishishi.

What's up with that weird laugh?

Fuwa: The Big 5, huh...?

Maehara: Our vacation just ended, but I already have a bad feeling.

Kimura: And what's up with that grinning faces? They looked so frustrated during the closing ceremony.

As they were busying talking about those guys, I noticed something.

Me: We're missing one person.

I spoke to Sara who was standing beside me. She seemed to notice it too.

Sara: Yeah...

Before we could find out the missing student, the ceremony began.

...

Emcee: Now then, I have one last announcement for everyone before this ceremony ends. Starting today, Class 3-A will be adding a new member to their rank. Until yesterday, he was in Class E.

That statement caught everyone from my class by surprise. Except Sara and I.

I narrowed my eyes and started to scan my surrounding.

Me: I see. So that's where you went...

Emcee: However, with his diligent efforts, he has received excellent grades, and has earned the permission to return to the main building. Well then, let us hear his words of joy!

Me: Takebayashi.

Emcee: Takebayashi Koutarou-kun!

Almost everyone from my class looked at Takebayashi in shocked as he walked to the stage.

T

akebayashi: I have spent over 3 months with Class E. Simply put, that environment was hell.

And he started to talked about about his former classmates and also the teachers.

After his speech ended, the whole hall except for Class 3-E clapped for him.

...

After the ceremony ended, Class E started to leave the main building area. When I was about to leave with Sara, a voice called me out.

Sara and I turned around and saw the chairman's son. What is his name again? Well, that's not important. And he's with Takebayashi.

Me: What?

Chairman's Son: I'm here with an offer for just you at first. But since your friend is already here, I guess I can compromise.

Sara: What's your point?

Chairman's Son: Well, after talking to my father, he decided to turn a blind eye on your recent grades and offer you a place in Class 3-A.

Me: This again?

Chairman's Son: And judging by your grades, I'm sure my father can compromise and also give you a place in Class A, too, Tanaka-san.

Me: That sounds bias, don't you think? Your opinion on me, I mean. Right, Takebayashi?

Takebayashi: Araumi-kun, you were holding back during the recent exams, weren't you?

Me: I don't know what you're talking about. It's clear that the exams were harder than the last one. I was just lucky to be able to pass the exams.

Chairman's Son: Lying is not your strong point, you know?

Me: Well, can you prove that I'm lying?

Chairman's Son: I can't, unfortunately. Anyway, what do you two think of my offer?

Me&Sara: I'll pass. If anything, I'd prefer a place with freedom.

Well, judging from our past, our statement just now was valid.

Chairman's Son: That's a shame. Well then, let's go-

Me: Well, since you're here, Takebayashi, I think I'm just gonna say it now.

Chairman's Son: Huh?

I looked Takebayashi in the eyes.

Me: Aren't you glad? You finally managed to get out from that "hell" and stop being a burden to us.

Takebayashi:...

The chairman's son seemed surprised by my statement.

Me: Well, let's go, Sara.

Sara: Right.

We walked away from the main building area.

Sara: Why did you say that?

Me: Simply making the first move to bring him back to us.

Sara: I see.

She then held my hand as we walked towards Class E building. She has became more aggressive. I won't be surprised if the others found out we are dating anytime soon. Not that I care, anyway.

Sara: What do you think the others think about him now.

Me: I guess they're mad.

Sara: Well, who wouldn't, right?

Me: Maybe just us.

Sara: You do have a point. 

There's a "curse" cast on a number of us. Parents' chains.

They bind you to an extremely painful place and don't let go.

There's a reason why Nagisa always hang out at my house. It's because he's one of the few who has been "cursed".

It must be hard for them.

Everyone has a different view on what they call freedom. And to free them from that curse, they need to learn what is freedom.

It's fine to be weak.

Because even Icarus burnt his wings and fell to his death because of his foolish act trying to challenge the Sun.

Me: Anyway, want to hang out at my house later?

Sara: Sure.

Me: Just don't go too wild.

She tried to stab me with a compass but I dodged.

Me: Woah, woah, I'm sorry, okay?

Sara: Hmph.

I smiled a little.

I guess I can get used to this sooner.

To be continued...