Chapter 3: Time to Flee

SERIS VRITRA

It's been a week since the events at the Victoriad. Never did I expect the outcome that happened. Especially, Gr-Arthur making off with Agrona's little toy. I hope the boy knows what he got himself into, because these are extremely dangerous waters. 

Sehz-Clar has been a mess since that day as well. Thousands of people have been arrested and even sent to execution for heresy against the High Sovereign for calling into question his power and leadership skills over Alacrya. I had to begrudgingly sign off on those executions despite my own personal feelings and knowledge. Of course, Agrona is a good leader, he's just a megalomaniac. The asura is so hell bent on sticking it to the Dragons that only ideas or people who can help him reach that goal draw his interest. Hence, his fascination with the Legacy. 

With her gone, Agrona has us remaining Scythes on a wild goose chase through Alacrya, turning over every possible stone while interrogating suspicious fellows. While I do want to know where Leywin went, I'd rather not find him so that he can stay hidden and stall against Agrona for as long as possible. 

Now that the week has ended, I finally can return to the Central Dominion and wait for Caera to emerge from the Relictombs. Fortunately, I didn't receive any messages or demands from the High Sovereign to drag my student to Taegrin Caelum for her to be interrogated. Arthur really knows how to stir things up. I said make a statement, not cripple one Scythe, kill another, then steal the Agrona's most prized "possession." 

It's all in the past now. I almost feel bad about my proposal to him about challenging Cylrit. It was obviously beneath him. 

----------------------

Just as Sehz-Clar had been, the Central Dominion is in a state of shock. Without Cadell or Nico as leader figures, panic was bound to ensue. Even I was a little affected by all of the commotion after the fact considering how quickly I sent Caera off. Now that she's coming back, I hope I can continue to protect her, though I can't deny a direct request from the High Sovereign. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. 

As the rhythmic clacking of my heels ring out among the Ascender hall, I spot a familiar head of navy-blue hair. My shoulders relax and my face becomes much less tense as a smile even creeps across. 

"Ah, Lady Caera of Highblood Denoir, what a coincidence to see you here!" I quip, hoping to not only draw her attention but make it apparent that I missed her. 

"Indeed it is, Scythe Seris. I never would have expected my mentor to pick me up from a hard week's work," Caera tells me with a slight smirk. 

"Let's get you out of here. We can talk elsewhere," I whisper, giving a gesture to fall in step with me. 

Our footsteps ring out in unison until I take her to a familiar restaurant with some rather private seating areas. We take a seat in a private booth and have a cup of tea brought to each of us. 

"So, Caera, I know you have more questions than I have answers, and, while I could answer some of said questions, it's better to hear it from the horse's mouth," I tell her, hoping she wont inquire about Arthur too much.

"I figured as much. In that case, what can you tell me, Scythe Seris?" she asks.

"Well as you may have guessed, he's not Alacryan. He isn't entirely human given that insane healing factor.  And most importantly, he may be the best outcome for all three continents," I reply, hoping what I gave her is enough. 

"I could have guessed those first two. You're not one to let information slip out like you did when you told me to enter the Relictombs. What I don't understand is your last sentence. While yes, he's great, how can you talk about him with such confidence?" she asks before taking a long sip from her cup.