Chapter 23: Reap What You Sow

ALDIR

"Where to now, brother? We've landed in our homeland, but who to speak with first?" Kordri asks as we step through the portal back to Epheotus.

"It's between Lord Thyestes and Lord Grandus. Your thoughts?" I ask in response.

"I vote we go to Lord Thyestes first. He has more overall power than my clan," Wren suggests.

"I agree. We've got a better chance of persuading him with myself and Aldir asking. After that, we can use Lord Thyestes to help bring over Lord Grandus," Kordri says.

"Then off to Thyestes Manor. It's time to deliver the news bestowed upon us by our new liege," I tell my fellow subjects. The world of rulers and the ruled cannot be avoided. If I'm destined to be a servant, I'll serve the best master I can find.

We decided to make our way to Thyestes Manor on foot. It gave us all a lot of time to contemplate our actions in silence. We're approaching the point of no return. This meeting with my father has the potential to turn Epheotus upside down. It's going to be hard to keep this all a secret until we can finally put our plans in motion.

"We're here, brother," I hear, pulling me from my thoughts. Before us stands a large marble and quartz manor. The shimmering green and blue stained glass windows with intricate depictions of previous lords of the Thyestes clan line the front face of the manor.

Like this:

"Let's get this over with

"Let's get this over with. I'm sure father will want to hear what we have to say," I reply while pushing open the enormous and intricately carved ebony doors. Beyond the threshold is a grand and ornate hall. The towering ceiling could fit nearly all of Xyrus Castle within its space.

"Grand as I remember. It never changes no matter how many times you walk in," I say to myself while gazing at the place I grew up. "Let's make haste to father's office."

Myself, Kordri, and Wren stride through the marble-laden hallways toward the eastern wing of the uselessly-large estate. It's only until we approach another ebony door, the one to our father's office, that I begin to hesitate.

"Are you just going to stand there, Aldir? We should try and be quick here. This isn't our only stop," Wren chides while giving me a pat on the back.

"It's an important conversation. We can't afford to mess up here," I reply.

"There's no such thing as messing up. We hold information that will turn all of Epheotus into a wasteland before the end of the year. Let's just get started," he says while using his hand to push me toward the door.

I glare at the frail Titan before turning back to the door to knock. With three firm taps, my anxiety begins to rise.

"Come in, Aldir," says a muffled voice from behind the door.

I turn the knob into an ornate wood-paneled office lined with bookshelves and magical trinkets. My father's study is more akin to an observatory or museum than an office.