Chapter 10: He Who Flips the Coin

ARTHUR LEYWIN

The following morning, I'm having a conversation with Regis, who was taking up Caera's whole couch.

"Yes, Regis. We have to go," I annoyingly answer.

"But there are so many hotties out here! All that's in that zone are old grandmas and minors!" Regis complains.

My face falls into a subtle frown at Regis' propensity to make everything about his high libido.

"Interesting conversation. Where's the destination?" Caera asks as she enters the living room.

"Princess here wants us to go into the Relictombs to go see his family and the rest of the Dicathians. One small issue, I can't legally or in good faith observe any of the women there," he continues.

"That sounds cool. Can I come?" She asks, probably knowing the answer already.

"I would prefer you didn't. For starters, I could really use you here as a go-between for me and Seris. Secondly, my mother would pester me with a few-hundred questions at the sight of another girl at my side. I don't want any two-timing rumors," I answer.

Caera closes her eyes and gives a few subtle nods. Her disappointment is evident. I'd be tired of being cooped up in here too. She can't go back to her Blood's house because they'll just pester her day in and day out. But I can't take her to the Relictombs.

'Tough spot,' Regis says mentally.

I feel bad having her be like an errand girl too. I wish I could make the job more exciting, but I don't want to put her in harm's way.

'Nor do I. It would be a crime against the world for a woman like that to be maimed or killed,' he replies.

I sigh internally. Of course that's where your mind goes first.

"I'm sorry Caera. I know you're probably bored, but this is the best spot for you to be for the time being. Not to mention, Seris would probably get angry at me for dragging you along with me," I explain.

"I understand. It's just very frustrating to have all these things that I want to do but can't because of the current state of the continent," Caera huffs, taking a seat on the chair in front of me, crossing her legs, and resting her left elbow on her knee.

"Sorry about that. It was a necessary maneuver, though. Having Cecilia away from Agrona is one of the most important things for the survival of humans," I comment.

"Survival of all humans? What do you mean by that?" she asks.

"I mean that the asuras have decided to get rid of us 'lessers' in order to get rid of Agrona. Their war would level the world. And level it they shall," I answer.

"I-I need to go tell Scythe Seris!" she shouts, bolting to the door, sliding on her boots, and grabbing an overcoat. "I'll be back tomorrow!"

The door slams.

Congratulations mutt, you get another day of stalking women through Caera's window.

'I could not be happier,' Regis replies before becoming a puppy and seating himself on the window sill.

TESSIA ERALITH

I feel like I'm falling. I'm trapped in what feels like an endless void. Foreign emotions leak into my head that isn't even my own anymore. From behind my own eyes, I can see the world, but I can't interact with it. I'm like a second personality that can only be heard through immense despair. I can feel the Elderwood Guardian's will with me in here, too. It craves destruction. I'm trying to fight off its influence, but it's getting harder by the day.