Chapter 40: The Upcoming Cataclysm

ALDIR

It's the dawn of the new year. The time Kezess set forth as the date the world comes to an end. An apocalypse put in motion to put a war into the history books instead of newspapers.

"It's been too long since I've had the privilege to see you in combat, old friend. Surely you haven't gone complacent?" I hear from over my shoulder causing me to turn my head. Before me is someone I'll likely never see again after this mission. His well-manicured, platinum-blonde hair and galaxy eyes glance across my face, searching for a sense of longing within myself.

"I can promise I have not, Windsom. You should continue to pity the fools on the other side of Silverlight. I wasn't bestowed the World Eater technique without reason," I reply sternly. Windsom can only stifle a chuckle at my seriousness as the collection of the two greatest prospects of each of the Eight Great Clans walk amongst each other.

"I couldn't say it better myself," a third voice calls out as a bald man with four eyes and runic tattoos across his body steps away from the two Grandus clan members of the task force.

"Ah, Kordri. I've not had the pleasure since the boy was under your care in the aether orb. How has time been treating you?" Windsom asks my brother.

"Time gives to all equally. I regret the necessity of this mission, but if it means Epehotus' survival, I'm glad to take part," he replies, lying through his teeth.

"You Thyestes seem to have a propensity towards the lessers. I wonder what the causation of that could have been?" Windsom questions as an eyebrow raises and he curiously glances over us.

"You're assumption is likely correct. If Arthur were still here, we wouldn't need to get our hands dirty or put our lives at stake. It's easier to fight a war through proxies than to step on the battlefield yourself," I asset, attempting to take the suspicious eye from my brother.

"It's a shame indeed. However, there's very little sixteen of the most powerful asura from Epheotus can't do," he gloats.

Except for seeing the errors in their ways.

I mentally reprimand the whole of Epheotus for being short-sighted as I can barely hear the muffled conversation Kordri is having with Windsom.

"Ahem," Windsom coughs, catching my attention. He directs my gaze toward the slight stage where Lord Indrath steps up to see us off.

"Greetings, all. You are sixteen of Epheotus' most prominent and powerful. You're tasked with a single goal, the complete elimination of the Vritra clan at the expense of anything in your way. Allow no lesser or mountain to inhibit your goal. We can always start again. May Mt. Geolus guide you," the Dragon Lord announces in a brief speech. His cold violet gaze takes turns glancing over each of us while spending a slightly longer time on me.

The cool winter air swishes through the thoroughfare created at the bridge that leads to Indrath Castle. Songbirds come to a standstill as the only thing left to hear is the pounding of nervous hearts and the howling of the breeze.

We all collectively take a knee and bow our heads before we're finally dismissed. "Go now, and emerge victorious."

Kezess swiftly turns and allows his cape to flow behind him as Myre sends myself and Kordri a pained expression. Her eyes are full of inner turmoil before she turns away to step in tow with her husband. The few heavily armored Indrath soldiers follow suit as their heels clack along the stonework back to Indrath Castle.

As we all rise to our feet, fifteen pairs of eyes turn to me, the appointed leader of this group.

"So what now, brother?" Kordri asks.

TBATE: Let The Truth Be Known {Completed}On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara