Chapter 43: Many To The Afterlife

WREN KAIN IV

A mutiny. A coup. A rebellion.

As Kezess lunges for Lord Thyestes, my father steps in with a replica of Dawn's Ballad. I was inspired by how Arthur fought with it, so I chose to attempt to improve the design. It's stronger, lighter, and leagues sharper now. I made it with the intent of gifting it to Arthur for the upcoming war, but I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to do that.

My father deflects Kezess' sword and pins it to the ground. In his rage, the Dragon Lord stomps on the sword with the fullest extent of his power, sending cracks all the way through the blade. The luminescent teal blade fractures before my father rips it from the ground and retreats.

Chaos.

The castle has descended into chaos. Phoenixes are fighting Sylphs as Hamadryads and Leviathans clash. The walls of Indrath Castle are quickly blown away. The ceiling laden with mosaics and crystal chandeliers begins to fall.

After mere seconds, it's all gone. The ongoing battle of asura rages through the destruction of Indrath Castle. Lady Myre escapes from the back as the path she just used collapses in on itself. I stand alone among the chaos. I, like many others, silently observe the carnage. Scars emerge across the land as asura corpses already litter the ground.

"Wren! Open the gate! Open the gate!" I hear my father shout at me in the midst of his clash alongside Lord Thyestes against Kezess.

I shake myself from my stupor and race to pull a Tempus Warp from my dimension artifact. I scan the battlefield for a suitable location to place it before I'm blasted with a concentrated beam of pure mana. The Tempus Warp acts as a shield to protect me but is destroyed in the process. A nearby dragon in its true form glares at me through purple eyes as its cobalt-blue scales refract light like a mirror.

My head spins, and the blood pounds from my heart to my extremities as my eyes become hypersensitive to the sunlight. My senses begin to dull as the ringing in my ears becomes more prominent.

"-ET UP! GET UP! WREN!" I eventually piece together. As my heavy head slowly emerges from the ground, my father is barely managing to hold off Kezess in his 2v1 alongside Lord Thyestes.

The Dragon that sent me reeling begins creeping toward me as I fail to feel his heavy footsteps among the rest of the quaking of the earth.

I shakily rise to my feet and stare the dragon down. I've never been one for fights. I'm an intellectual. I practice self-preservation.

With possibly the fastest movements I've ever made in my life, I pull another Tempus Warp from my dimension artifact -because a true scientist is always prepared- and quickly spin the dials to set the location to a location a few miles from the Grandus Estate.

"Father! It's ready!" I shout before I drop the anvil at my feet and it fires up.

The purple circle emerges and I hurry through. As I turn back to my father, the only thing in my view is of Kezess with his eyes more violet and his hair even more stark white standing over my father with a thin teal blade in his abdomen. He rakes a hand across the air as the portal wavers and blinks from existence before reopening, this time to a different location.

"Wha- What happened?" I mumble before I poke my head through the other end of the portal only to find myself in a vast expanse of desert.

"No. No. No. Wait," I mutter as I frantically drop to my knees and begin to fiddle with the dials to reset it to my former location.

Fuck. What latitude and longitude is it? What is it?

In my panicked state, simple concepts seem to evade me.