Chapter 38: The Most Pleasant of Reunions

ARTHUR LEYWIN

My slumber is broken some hours later as Tessia nudges my cheeks.

"Ugh. I'm sore all over," I groggily groan as I open my eyes to stare into Tess' gorgeous emeralds.

"Morning, sunshine. I missed you," she replies as she leans over and plants a soft kiss on my lips. I don't remember the last time I felt this at peace. I've spent over a year toiling away in foreign lands and dungeons made by ancients trying to do one thing: get this girl back.

"I missed you too, Tess," I exhale through a gargantuan smile as I try and sit up only to find Cecilia taking a nap of her own on my thigh. "I guess she was tired too?"

"She was. I dozed off for a bit myself. I think Regis may have too because I haven't heard from him since you came back down," Tess answers as the points back up the stairs I crawled down from.

Hey, mutt. You there?

No response.

"He's not answering me mentally. I can't say I'm very disappointed," I groan as I nestle myself further into Tess' lap and wrap my arms around her waist.

"Aww, you big baby. Is my lap that comfortable?" she asks teasingly.

"Absolutely. Now I just need to wait for Cecilia to wake up so I can find Regis," I grumble into Tessia's stomach as her clothes turn my voice into muffled jargon.

"I'm up, Arthur. Your lap is just comfortable," Cecilia replies while rolling to her side to face Tess and me.

"Of course, you are," I sigh as I sit up forcibly and move Cecilia's head from my lap.

"Meanie. I was trying to sleep," she voices as I somewhat shakily rise to my feet.

"Use Tess' lap then. I can promise it's more comfortable than mine," I answer as I dust off my clothes and pop my fingers and neck.

"Maybe I will," Cecilia taunts as she lies down in Tess' lap and sticks her tongue out at me. Both girls have huge smiles on their faces as they fail to hold in their giggles.

"You two will be the death of me," I grumble as I turn to ascend the stairs to find my furry -is it technically fur?- friend.

The short spiral staircase to the lobby-like area is oddly covered in a kind of purple viscera. It's not mine, it's not Xena's, and it's not something that would have come from the Sentinels.

"Uhh, Regis?" I call out into the open air. I can't seem to sense his aether signature nor get through to him mentally.

Last I remember I told him to get the aether from the central crystal but it's still glowing relatively brightly, not as much as before but nonetheless.

"Regis!" I shout into the streets of the ruined city from all entrances into the tower.

Nothing.

What the hell?

I mosey back down the spiral staircase to confirm the girls really don't know where he is.

"Hey, are you two sure you haven't heard from Regis? I'm starting to worry," I ask. They both look at me blankly and tilt their heads.

"I wasn't kidding, Arthur. I don't know where he is," Tess answers.

"Is he not up there?" Cecilia asks.

"No. I called out for him in the tower and even outside. I can't sense his signature nor can I talk to him mentally. This hasn't ever happened before except for when... we were forming a third layer. I got it!" I shout as I sprint back up the stairs and press my hands to the aether crystal.