Chapter 22: Who Is That?

ARTHUR LEYWIN

We've been in this new zone of the Relictombs for a few days now. I've been trying to teach Ellie how to manipulate aether better, but she's having a hard time sensing the ambient aether. It seems to only really click whenever she's distressed. It's as if the pressure of the situation enhances her connection to the aether around us.

This zone has been rather interesting so far, it reminds me of Elshire forest. If I'm not mistaken, that's the point. Ellie mentioned feeling like she was going in circles a couple times, but Cecilia seems to be having an easy time walking around. I haven't noticed the typical effect of Elshire while we've been walking around, but I've been following the trails of ambient aether.

"Brother, I'm tired of walking," Ellie grumbles.

"You're not even walking, Ellie. You're just laying on Boo's back and making him do all the work," I reply while thumping her on the forehead. Boo gives me a distasteful glance at my harming his master but seems to let it slide because I'm right.

"Ow! That hurt... Boo was the one who threw me on his shoulders, so I don't know why you're mad at me," she continues to grumble.

"Ellie, you can literally fly now. Hover over the ground a little and give the big guy a break," I suggest while giving my best impersonation of a flapping bird.

"Stop mocking me, Arthur. How about you carry me instead of Boo. Would that make you happier?" she teases. Little does she know, this was my plan from the start.

"Sure, hop on my shoulders," I readily accept while scooting over to Boo's massive frame.

Ellie's expression completely changed whenever I accepted that quickly. Now, she's trying her best not to show her excitement at me being more affectionate. I really missed my sister while I was in Alacrya. I'd think of her all the time. I'd check in on her through the seeing stone. I hated that I couldn't be there to protect her.

"Fine, then, you big idiot," Ellie mumbles while sliding off of Boo's back and onto my shoulders.

"Almost the same height. He's a little taller than me, but I'm more talkative, right?" I tease.

"Only a little. Sometimes that's not always a good thing," she shoots back.

"You guys are being a little mean don't you think?" Cecilia asks from a few paces ahead of us.

"Nah, this is just your average sibling talk. Right, Ellie?" I ask.

"Nope. In fact, Arthur's being so mean to me it makes me want to cry. Cecilia, please save me from this big meany," my sister replies while kicking her feet into my chest from above my shoulders.

I'm sure my expression of pure betrayal is visible to Cecilia because she just giggles at our little sibling quarrels. "You two really are siblings. I wonder if the genetics from your parents affected this version of you. You're so much more expressive than I ever really remember you being."

My face simply drops at the recollection of my parents. My father gave his life fighting off mana beasts at the Wall, and my mother is still scarred internally to this day over the reveal of my past life. It's less that she's scarred from the reveal, but the way that they both treated me after I confided in them.

"I think so. Arthur is caring like Mom while strong and protective like Dad. He's like a perfect blend of them. You should have seen how he looked before. His auburn hair and azure eyes made for quite the lady-killer," Ellie says from my shoulders.

I don't personally know how to respond to that all. I spent my whole life wanting to feel accepted by my family. I wanted proof that I'm not just Grey Willbeck who stole Arthur Leywin's body. I wanted proof that I was Arthur Leywin. Ellie's words shake me to my core. I can't help but hope that my parents feel the same. I hope that they know I'm nothing like the Grey from my past life. I'm Arthur Leywin, son of Alice and Reynolds Leywin, and brother of Eleanor Leywin. I'm their true family. I'm not a fraud.