Chapter 32: Unlikely Allies

SERIS VRITRA

"I'll leave Cecilia to explain that. For now, Seris and I have some business to attend to. You two can talk it out wherever you please," Arthur says as I nod and follow him. He asked me to come into the Relictombs and speak with those in power here to humanize 'my' people. The only perception that they have of Alacryans are those they've met on the battlefield and Caera, who's still comatose. She's obviously non-threatening even when conscious, but they don't know that.

"So, what is it that you want me to let them know? I haven't been here before, and I especially have not met these people. How am I supposed to make them understand my people as something other than monsters?"I ask.

"Well, that isn't exactly up to me. Just tell them how you would want to be perceived. My job will be to facilitate their understanding as you speak. If there is anything in particular that you need them to know -outside of the fact that you are just a human being like them- then let them know," Arthur says. His tone is cold and commanding. It seems as if he's just ready to get this all over with.

"So, is there anything that you need some to know? Do you need them to know that this is all your will? Do you need them to know that I am not there to hurt them? Do you need them to know that I am more powerful than them?" I ask again.

"No, please don't do that. In fact, try and downplay yourself a little bit to humanize yourself even more. We wouldn't want them to see you as something hostile," he answers.

"Fine. Let's just get this over with. Hopefully, I can make myself presentable," I grumble.

Arthur and I end our conversation there as we walk into the Council building to meet with everyone. The building is by no means grand, but in comparison to everything else here, I suppose it is. Our whole objective is for me to seem passive, so I'll try and show a bit more emotion than usual.

"Good afternoon, Council. I've brought you a special guest that I hope can change your perspectives on a few things," Arthur announces as I take the few remaining steps into the octagonal room through a set of drapes.

"Good afternoon to you again, Council. I'm Seris Vritra, Scythe of the Sehz-Clar domain of Alacrya and servant to yours truly," I introduce while gesturing toward Arthur for the last portion.

The whole room is immediately filled with the ire of each and every Council member present. The lances' glares bore holes through me while the young Glayders' are like an acupuncture needle. The only one in here who seems to be attempting to restrain themselves is Virion, the former king of Elenoir.

"Settle down. I didn't bring her here to kill you all. I could have done that myself," Arthur scolds. The intents immediately release and expressions of shame befall the lances and Glayders. Only Virion's expression goes from blank to a slight grin at Arthur's actions.

"In accordance with Arthur's will, I've come here to betray some information to make a case for my side of humanity. My home is the residence of many who are vile and seek the complete and total destruction of Dicathen and continents beyond, however, there are others. Many Alacryans have no ill will toward the continent of Dicathen. Many of them are like the common human or elf who wasn't invested in the war that took place here a century ago. What I'm getting at here is: my people aren't all evil. There are simply just some who need to be deposed to allow the rest of everyone to live in harmony," I finish.

The expressions on the Council's faces don't exactly show a face of pleasure. They seem to be questioning Arthur's action of taking a Vritra-blooded into their safe space.

"With all due respect, Arthur, I can't agree with you bringing her here. She's the enemy here. She's part of the reason you and I had to watch comrade after comrade die at the Battle of the Bloodfrost," the rather dashing blonde man with hazel eyes mentions.