Chapter 39: Foundation Set

ALDIR

"Aldir, it isn't that simple. Orchestrating something of this magnitude isn't just about putting pieces on black or white on a board. It's playing on multiple boards with only a couple of pieces," father advises. We've been discussing our future moves regarding the upcoming rebellion, but we've yet to receive confirmation from the Aerind, Avignis, or Eccleiah Clans.

"I'm aware, Father, but this isn't something we can afford to take this slow. Time is of the essence. We're mere days out from the turn of the year. We're mere days out from when Kezess plans to turn the world into ash," I urge.

He turns to his long-distance communication artifact before picking it up and fidgeting with it.

"Son, I want you to know that you're the next leader of this clan. I know you're versed in war, but are you well-versed in politics? You can discern right from wrong, but you've yet to have to put yourself in these strenuous situations where your decisions are the new definition of morality. This can't become a fruitless rebellion. It must succeed. Lest Kezess turns his ire to us alone," he replies, standing and finally pushing mana into the artifact.

The artifact vibrates once, twice, and before the third time finishes, a supple and lithe voice reaches through the air and caresses the ears.

"Yes, Lord Thyestes? I'm quite busy at the moment," she asks.

"My apologies, Lady Aerind, but it's quite important. I'd like to request we meet. May I make my way to your estate so we can talk?" he almost begs. I've never seen my father approach a conversation this way, yet I know exactly why. It's simply the manner in which one must converse with Lady Aerind in order to draw her favor. Her pomposity knows no bounds.

"I suppose I could fit some time in there for you. Can you come today? I have some free time in a few hours I was going to use for a trip to Mt. Geolus springs if you'd like to join," she proposes.

I watch my father's gaze darken, emblematic of his disdain. My father hates water with a passion ever since it took my mother, and I suspect Lady Aerind knows that.

"I believe I can, Lady Aerind. I'll see you shortly then," he answers through nearly-gritted teeth.

"I look forward to it. Ciao!" the Sylph finishes before the artifact gives a soft hum.

"I can't stand that woman, Aldir. To think she'd make a mockery of me like that. I'm glad we have other options because your mother would roll in her grave should she see me bend the knee to that wretched egotist. I'd almost rather we forget her and label her a lost cause, but we need everything we can get," he groans as he sits back down. "Will you handle the other two meetings? I doubt I'll get the chance to leave Mt. Geolus at all today. You know how much Lady Aerind loves to talk."

I chortle slightly at my father's remark. "Yes, Father I can do that. Who do I need to visit?"

"You'll have to speak with both Lords Eccleiah and Avignis. I've already met with Lord Grandus and he's on board completely," he answers.

"Then I'll be on my way. Have the meetings been set up already?" I ask.

"They have, but Lady Aerind just took the time I was planning to meet them. You'll need to meet Lord Eccleiah in an hour and Lord Avignis at dusk at his estate. Can you handle that?" he asks.

"I can indeed, Father. Leave it to me," I answer with a bow.

"Good, now let me mentally prepare myself for my own meeting," he groans with a shooing motion toward me.

"Good luck," I wish before I take my leave.

As I trek through the Thyestes estate, I can't help but wonder what it is I'll have to say to the two clans to sway them.