Chapter 44: A Fateful Encounter

ARTHUR LEYWIN

'thur! Arthur!'

I slowly but surely am pulled from my daze at Regis' incessant howling.

What, Regis?

'Bad news. Yeah, that big stinky Dragon guy named Kezess? Remember him? Well, he declared war on the rebels. The Lords of all of the Eight Great are dead except for Kezess.'

What? When?

'Right after you reentered the Relictombs. Apparently, Aldir started to leave, and on the other side of his Tempus Warp was the fray. Kezess was exhausted after fighting everyone off. Aldir chose not to fight him.'

Where did you hear all of this?

'I was out for a stroll. I ended up by the exit portal when a guard quickly ran in all flustered. He saw me and had me relay the message.'

Shit. We need to do something.

'I agree, but what?'

Fate. We need it now. We don't have time to waste on trials anymore. I've been tested enough.

'And how do you plan to do that?'

I've got five godrunes. If that's not a testament to my skill and power, then I don't know what is. I'll force the aether to take me there.

'Um... okay. I'm on my way to you now. Just wait up for a bit.'

Got it.

The realization sets in. My leaders of the rebellion on Epheotus are already dead. Fortunately for me, many of Kezess' allies are also dead, but I expect the war has already begun to reduce Epheotus to atoms.

As I come back to reality, the whole Council is eying me curiously.

"Something wrong, Arthur?" Virion asks.

"It's begun. Epheotus is descending into chaos. We have to go as soon as possible. Seris, I need you to organize the Vritra. Get Agrona to Cardigan. I'll meet him there. I just have to do something first," I answer.

Seris nods her head readily and stands to exit. "I'll see to it that your invasion is successful. Shall we begin even before you leave?"

"Actually, yes. I'll join you shortly after you make landfall," I reply before standing. The council observes my expression with worry.

"Are you not going to take us with you, Arthur?" Bairon asks.

"Do you want to die fighting Asura? I understand your question, Bairon, but not only do I need you here, I expected you all to be fighting Scythes or Retainers. I didn't anticipate you fighting the strongest of the full-blooded asuras. Do you understand?" I answer. Bairon's gaze settles on the few papers in front of him as his fists clench.

"Unfortunately I do. No matter how much we train, we're still not enough," he spits through gritted teeth.

"It's the cards we've been dealt. It's only me, Regis, and Cecilia that stand a chance on Epheotus. We'll come home. I'll see to it that you all get to return to the surface and live your lives as they should have been," I announce. The council remains as gloomy as they began save for the fear that sits in everyone's eyes.

"Just come home, Arthur... and for heaven's sake, tell your mother before you leave. You can't go off and do this without telling her," Virion advises.

"I..." I mutter before a long sigh escapes my throat. "I'll do that."

I take my leave from the Council Building as I'm showered with their well-wishes. The people of New Zestier are none the wiser as I carouse the streets. I want to sprint home and leave as soon as possible, but I also want to delay the inevitable as much as possible. I don't want to look my mother in the eyes to tell her I might die again. I don't want to have to fight to the death against the tyrant of Epheotus. I don't want to have to bear the burden of the world's future. It's too much.