Chapter 4: Mass Exodus

CECILIA

It's been right at a week since Grey brought me to Dicathen. I've had so much time to sit and think that I've been driving myself insane. I still have my core restricted with a different artifact, but they removed the mana-restriction cuffs. That was Commander Virion's idea. Apparently even though I'm not his granddaughter, he still hurts at the sight of me in discomfort. Though, of course I'm in discomfort mentally. I've got two sides of a story that are nothing alike. Nico was always there for me. He saved me during my outbursts of ki, killed a man in an alleyway with a rusty nail to protect me, and eventually even asked me to marry him. How can I believe the words of the man who abandoned us to go and work with some hag of a woman just to avenge Headmaster Willbeck?

I missed her too, but I never was going to turn a whole country into ruin like Nico tells me Grey did for her. She gave me a place to sleep, food to eat, and even tried to send me to school, but Grey took it too far. And after all of that, he trained endlessly just to face me in the end of the King's Crown Tournament. Wait... why was I at the tournament in the first place? Why was I facing Grey? Oh right, it was that sponsor of his, Lady Vera. She trained him to be way better than me in terms of sword skill but he could never hold his own against me in a full-on battle. I had way too much ki and could make as many ki weapons as I wanted almost instantly. How did he win?

Is he right? 

I need to hear his whole side of the story. 

I decide to take a stroll around the Sanctuary seen as I've been deemed harmless by the Council because of my core restrictor. I was looking for Grey, I suppose. He has his side of the story, and I need to determine which one makes more sense. He usually attends a few of the Council's meetings during the day and then trains his sister before bed. I never knew him to be this caring about others. He has genuine smiles when he looks at Commander Virion, Eleanor, and his mother. I don't remember him smiling very often at all on Earth. This makes everything so much more difficult understand. 

It took me around ten minutes to reach the other end of the Sanctuary where Grey often trains his sister. I found them sparring, but Eleanor wasn't holding back whatsoever, filling him with mana arrows from the neck down. Is she insane?

I considered jumping out to make them stop, but then my eyes went wide when the holes in his body began to close, leaving only tears in his clothing. What is happening here?

I observed them for around an hour from a nearby alleyway, not wanting to interrupt the rather intense training session. When they finally ended, they shared a short conversation that I couldn't hear due to not being able to enhance my senses. From a couple paces away, he turns around abruptly, noticing me. 

Whenever I thought he may end up making his way over to me, he disappears in a bolt of lightning and appears in front of his sister, then seconds later, I see her begin to sprint back into the central area. 

Grey looked over his shoulder with a complex expression. I couldn't tell if he was trying to read my intent or ask me a question telepathically. After a few seconds of staring at me, he simply shakes his head and walks in the opposite direction that Eleanor ran. Was he trying to tell me something?

'I think so. He's always very cryptic.'

I jump at the sound of another voice in my head. It still is incredibly unfamiliar. I can't tell if it's my feelings or Tessia's, but there is an overwhelming sense that I can trust Grey with my life. He's very strong, dependable, and he keeps his promises. Wait, he does?

I chose to follow him as stealthily as possible. He probably knows I'm pursuing him, but just in case he's oblivious, I'll try and stay out of sight. 

We make it around a quarter of a mile before he comes to a stop, turns around, and looks to the sky. I follow his gaze to see two of the lances that are on the Council. They fly down towards Grey as I begin to hear hundreds of simultaneous footsteps. Panicked, I throw my head back around the corner. Is something happening?