Chapter 13: A Hero's Welcome

ALICE LEYWIN

I never thought that I'd be able to have a quaint family dinner like this ever since the war began. Hope and happiness have been so hard to come by ever since we lost Rey. I've tried my hardest to keep myself together for Ellie's sake, but in the mornings I wake up without him by my side, I feel like crying myself back to sleep. Every waking moment of being in the Djinn Sanctuary and Relictombs as I stare at my last remaining family brings me to the brink of tears as I think about what I could have had. My husband will never walk Ellie down the aisle. He can't be there for our grandchildren. He'll never get to see everything our children will accomplish.

We did it, Rey. We created two beautiful and strong children. Just look at them.

"-om... Mom?" I hear, brought out of my emotional stupor.

"Are you okay, Mom? You're crying and you haven't touched your food yet," Arthur asks with a worried glance that only his family gets to see.

"Yes, Art. I'm okay. I was just... thinking about your father," I admit, knowing I shouldn't lie to my son.

A dissonant screech is heard from my periphery as I feel a pair of arms wrap around me from behind.

"It's okay, Mom. Ellie and I are here. We may not be dad, but we're still both yours and his," Arthur whispers into my ear. His words only serve to amplify the number of tears pouring from my eyes. Another set of arms wraps around my shoulders, this time from my left.

"He's right, Mom. We're here. We miss him just as much as you do. Arthur was off turning the world upside down because of how much he misses Dad," Eleanor says while embracing me from my left.

"I feel so lucky to have two beautiful children who stick with me even when I'm such a mess," I eke out through dry sobs and hiccups.

A third and fourth pair of arms either embrace me or rest on my shoulders.

"We may not be blood Alice, but both Cecilia and Tessia still respect you deeply as a mother. With Alduin and Merial gone, I hope you'll be willing to act in that role for Tessia," Virion says. I can't see him, but I can tell he's crying from the shaking of his hand on my shoulder. Tessia, or Cecilia, kneels down on my right and wraps her arms around my waist.

"Tessia is saying that she wants you to be happy regardless of what happens," Cecilia mutters with her face pressed into my ribs.

I feel so loved. After everything I've put these kids through. After what Rey and I did to Arthur. After he couldn't even come to his father's funeral because of me. After Eleanor fought so valiantly at Eidelholm. I feel like a horrible mother for never letting my children make their own decisions. They've done so much good for the whole of Dicathen, but all I ever think about is if they'll come home or not. I know that they both want to come home no matter what, but dying fighting against oppressors is an optimal way to go for them.

"Thank you all. What we've lost in blood family, we've gained in others," I murmur.

For the next few moments, we all just sit in this peaceful silence, still in each other's embrace. Our 'beef' stew cools down to room temperature as we all share this moment of unparalleled compassion.

"Now, now, everyone. The food is already cold. Let's eat up and we can have our chats and discussions later, eh?" Virion asks from behind me.

"Let's eat. It's not beef, Arthur, but there's an animal in these forests that tastes similar enough," I explain and he nods with a goofy grin on his face.

"I may have to leave more often if I get beef stew every time I come back," Arthur jests with a light chuckle. His face beams with joy as he takes his first bite of my cooking. I may not be the best cook, but something about the genuine love and effort you imbue into a dish comes through in its taste.