Chapter 25: An Eye For An Eye

ARTHUR LEYWIN

Morning comes as quickly as I remember. The songbirds of the safe zone still chirp about right at the crack of dawn. It's a good thing for the asuran body, or I'd be rather tired by now. After all, I was up most of the night.

Laying on my back, I can't help but feel the heat of something to my left. Something -or rather someone- that I don't need to see to know who it is. I can't help but feel as if this was a mistake. Just as I was when my father died, my heart sought comfort due to my grief and guilt. This time, however, I was the one being comforted. The thoughts from then carried over into now. I didn't know Tessia was thinking the same as me in her state of grief and guilt.

Finally observing my surroundings, there she is. Tessia... or Cecilia... right there, with her head on my bare chest.

'In the most respectful way of your emotions, good job, princess,' Regis says.

Fuck off, Regis.

Despite the feeling of guilt for using carnal desire as a solution to my grief, I can't help but feel better. I can see the head of gunmetal hair draped across my chest and the soft rhythmic breaths of air that warm my stomach. This isn't how I wanted this to happen. I'm not foolish enough to believe that Cecilia wasn't acting. She can sound and act like Tessia, but she can't emulate the noble lineage that she never witnessed. I feel like scum.

'Stop beating yourself up, Arthur. There's more to it than you know. Ask her when she wakes up,' Regis advises.

I can do that. I'm just worried about what I'll hear. She could have been lying this whole time about the "Tessia said this and Tessia said that."

'She could have been, but I'd put my money that this is just you being paranoid. You know that regardless of how you feel, this wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for both your and Tessia's feelings,' Regis says.

I hate when you have a good point, but now I have to lay here and wait for her to wake up.

'Just do what you want. I can see your thoughts of wanting to stroke her hair and smile. You're allowed to relish in this moment for a bit,' Regis says before fading into my core.

Slightly annoyed at his invasion into my thoughts, I do as he suggests. I allow myself to relish in this moment. I bring my hand to the top of her head and begin running my fingers through her silvery locks. The smooth nature of her hair reminds me of when we grew up together in Zestier castle. I'd give a lot to go back to those ignorant times. My family was together. We didn't live in constant fear. I didn't have to worry if I'd see my loved ones again. I didn't have the weight of the world on my shoulders.

I must have begun to play with her hair too hard while I thought because she begins to stir. Her arm wrapped around my waist moves to scratch at her squinted eyes. I can tell the setting has yet to register in her mind. Or I thought so until she looked up at me and gave me a toothy smile. Her turquoise eyes stare deeply into mine, noticing my confusion at her expression.

"Good morning, Art," she says with an all too familiar voice.

Tess?

My face turns to shock as I quickly sit up and grab at her shoulders. She yelps slightly at my sudden action, but her face softens as she notices my shock.

"Yes, that was her, Arthur. She's beaming. I've never felt this much happiness from her. In fact, that was all her last night. Her heightened emotions allow her to become the pilot and me to become an observer. Sorry that I watched along," Cecilia chortles. "Are you upset?"