Chapter 18: A Battle Between Conquerers

CECILIA

It's been nearly the full 10 weeks since we all made it to this sandy zone. I've been trying my best to keep up with Arthur during training but he fights like a man out of time. He simply pummels our mentors into the sandy ground beneath, likely creating glass from how hard they impact.

His abilities seem to have multiplied. Ever since he got that new 'godrune' as he calls them, he's been able to replicate my canceling of spells. Then again, he did teach it to me. His control over aether seems to have amplified. While I can't see the ambient aether, his presence alone in the proximity of me allows me to feel its pressure crawling across my skin. It's like he's a magnet for aether.

I sit and watch as he uses his asuran martial arts skills to beat, throw, and kick the Djinn trainers' asses. His progression thus far has been terrifying. Each and every day it seems like he's learning how to better manipulate his new element to put everyone he's against at a disadvantage.

While I'm watching him toy around with Domon and his colleagues, he finally ends the bout with a swift stop to the sandy ground beneath, so hard that it crystalizes the sand beneath into glass. That stomp sends what I can only describe as an aetheric shockwave out towards the Djinn, sending them hurling into the expansive desert.

Wiping the sweat from his brow, he begins to make his way over to the collection of houses where I've been doing my training. As of late, I've been trying to do as he's been saying his new aetheric ability does: have the mana around me protect me without asking it. So far, I've tried to simply let it happen by just asking it, but it seems like I'll have to devote a string of my will to constantly keep up the defenses. I'll have to consistently force the mana to protect me.

"Hey, Cecilia, care to spar?" Arthur asks when he finally reaches the town.

I knew it...

"Um, sure I can spar with you, but are you sure you still want to keep going? You just slapped all of those Djinn into next week," I grumble, hoping he'll agree and just take a rest.

"I can keep going if that's what you mean. That was more akin to a warmup. You're the only one here who makes me have to continuously stay on my toes because I can never tell what it is you're thinking. Not to mention, your overall stamina is considerably higher given that we've fought for over an hour before and you've never run out of mana," he reasons, knowing full well that I can't deny him after a compliment like that.

With a sigh, I begrudgingly accept, "Sure, Arthur. Let's spar."

Making our way out among the dunes, the sand begins to whip at our faces. It seems that a sandstorm is planning to roll through. We've learned that they're quite frequent, maybe three times a week. I've actually managed to stop one before by forcing all of the wind mana causing the storm to stop in place. It took all of my concentration and I could only hold it for around 30 minutes, but I at least did it.

"Alright, this is far enough. The sandstorm won't be an issue for you, will it?" Arthur asks.

"No, it shouldn't be. I've fought through them plenty of times by now," I answer.

"Good. Regis can you count us down?" he says into the air before his wolven companion leaps from his chest and walks to the midpoint between us.

"Sure, princess. I'll be the referee for this fight. Let's keep it clean, alright? No eye gouging, no fish hooking, no hair pulling, no groin shots, and absolutely under no circumstances harass the referee. If you want to touch gloves do it now," Regis says in his best referee impersonation.

"You don't need to exaggerate, Regis," Arthur says deadpan.

"Minus one point for harassing the referee!" Regis shouts at Arthur while holding up a paw.