Chapter 20: Allegiance

SERIS VRITRA

"Right, on schedule, Arthur. The meeting will begin in the morning."

"Thank you for the hospitality, Seris, but will you finally tell us about who the hell we're meeting?" Arthur asks immediately after stepping out of the portal.

"Why? Are you in a rush? Does me doing all the work here not make you happy enough? Do I need to spell everything out for you?" I berate Arthur for his lack of trust.

Arthur sighs and walks past me to the hallway.

"Your chambers will be on the third floor. Once you walk up the stairs, take a right. Arthur's is the first door on the left, then Ellie, and finally Cecilia. Sound good?" I ask, receiving curt nods in response. "Well aren't you three just a bunch of laughs?"

"It's just been a long time in the Relictombs, Seris. I'm sorry for being an ass, but I do have a few things to discuss. Since you won't be telling me who I'm meeting in the morning, would you mind coming to my room after dark?" Arthur asks.

"How presumptuous. Discuss things you say. It would break Caera's heart," I tease.

"Ha Ha, Seris. You know what I mean. Put that clever mind of yours to work," he shoots back with a grin.

"I won't let you get me with that twice. I'll go and see you after dinner. I'm not looking forward to your snarky attitude, Arthur" I tell him before tossing him his ascension relic. "Hold on to that for now. Just in case."

He catches the relic and wordlessly makes his way out, presumably to his room.

I catch Arthur's younger sister staring at me, visibly confused.

"Can I help you, Ms. Leywin?" I ask.

"Um... how does Arthur know you?" she asks back.

"I guess you could say I saved his life twice. No need to thank me for it either. I had an ulterior motive anyways," I answer honestly.

"So you expect something from him as compensation?" she asks again.

"Technically, but not in the way you'd expect. You'll find out in the morning. I'll let you sit in on our meeting," I tell her before more or less shooing her off.

She scampers off and I hear her talking loudly to Cecilia on the way up to their rooms.

Turning to follow them, I can only think of how my adoptive mother and father would feel about me harboring three fugitives. Now that I think about it, fuck how they feel. I've never cared about how they thought about me ever since I became a Scythe. The highblood I came from was never worth my presence. I out-rank them in society now. I have everything I need to bring about justice. I don't need them anymore.

"Scythe Seris. You have a visitor at the door. Quite the wizened old gentleman," I hear from up the stairs as one of my butlers gives a deep bow.

"Thank you very much. I'll see to him soon. Would you mind inviting him to the meeting room? I'll be with them shortly." I reply.

"But of course," he says before heading back to the front door with haste.

He's already here. I'd like to keep both entourages separate until the meeting tomorrow. I'm sure Arthur and Cecilia have already noticed, though- perhaps even that monster of a little sister.

I start making way for my personal chambers to collect my thoughts for my meeting with a rather important person. I hope it goes as well as I'd like. Hopefully, I can keep both parties peaceful.

Who knows anymore? Arthur seems quite volatile at the moment.

Finally, I decide to head to the smaller meeting chamber on the first floor of my estate, I find myself before a mahogany door. Just beyond this door is a man who can help alter the fate of the world. Just beyond this door is a man who can help me on my quest for justice.