Chapter 33: Something Now Gained

VARAY AURAE

"So let's get you all past white core," Arthur announces. Across all of our faces, smiles emerge. We've been dissatisfied with our lack of progression for years. We've been discontent about being weaker than Scythes and even retainers since the start of the war. Now the tides will change. "If we're lucky, some of you may even get to the integration stage."

"Is that a stage beyond white core?" Bairon asks.

"It's whenever your body begins to assimilate with the mana itself. Your whole body becomes your core, and you're officially closer to asuras than humans in terms of mana manipulation capabilities," Arthur answers.

All of our ears perk up at the mention of being close in power or skill to even asuras. We've had many run-ins with the asura-blooded soldiers from Alacrya and even been embarrassed by a full-blooded asuran child. If we could begin to hold out against threats like them even when together -but preferably when alone- we could be useful again.

"Ellie will be taking part in this development as well, but she clearly doesn't need to have a limiter removed. I could break them here or do it somewhere less... public. I can't guarantee your cores won't cause another explosion similar to what happens when your core first forms. Take your pick," Arthur informs. He stands up from his seated position on the council table and puts his hands on his hips.

"Mica would prefer not to blow up the council building. Mica's chair is molded to her, and it would be a tragedy for it to be damaged," Mica answers.

"I second that," I chime in.

"Then let's go somewhere else. It'll be easier this way," Arthur mentions while walking behind me and offering his hands to Bairon and Mica. "Varay you'll have to make the contact yourself."

I nervously reach a hand out toward him from my chair and rest it on his shoulder.

"Good luck, you three," Seris says from across the room. Her smile seems confident, but that confidence is unsettling considering her background. Let's just hope it's confidence put in Arthur and not some greater master plan.

In a quick flicker of purple lightning, we three lances land firmly on our butts in the middle of the dense forest.

"We're about a mile south of town. I'll go ahead and start with Mica since she was so enthused," Arthur announces. "Mica, lay down on your back. I can't promise you'll be able to stand up for the whole duration."

Mica does as Arthur orders and lies on her back. A large goofy grin remains plastered across her face as it has been for the past few minutes.

"Try to get comfortable," Arthur mutters before placing his hand on Mica's chest, right above her sternum. "I'll start now."

Arthur closes his eyes as the grin on Mica's face vanishes, only to be replaced by an immensely pained grimace.

"AAAAHHH! IT BURNS, DAMN IT! YOU'RE GOING TO BREAK MY CORE!" Mica roars through a blood-curdling scream. Her limbs begin to flail about as Arthur takes his left hand and waves us both to hold those flailing limbs down.

I do as instructed and kneel at Mica's side and hold down her arms while Arthur kneels on her right leg and Bairon does the same on her left.

Mica's screams don't cease as her voice cracks and tears begin to stream down her face. Her reaction has made this whole process seem more terrifying than rewarding.

"Done," Arthur murmurs as he stands from off of Mica. Bairon and I release her as well. Mica's eyes continue to leak tears as she rolls over onto her side and weeps for a while. Her pained whimpers instill fear into my soul. I've always known Mica as a sturdy and upbeat girl, but here she is doubled over in overwhelming agony from something that's supposed to help her.