Chapter 31: Something Once Lost

CECILIA

"Are you ready to head back yet, Cecilia?" Arthur asks as we approach Seris' estate to reenter the Relictombs.

"We can. I'd like to take a short break first, though. If possible, I want to talk about what I mentioned before we left the Relictombs last time," I reply. I have another theory that I think could be useful to Arthur. Well, much more than just useful.

"Sure. Maybe we can get the staff to run us a bath before we head out. I'm sure that's a decent break, no?" he asks.

"Well, yes, that's a nice break, but unless you want to take a bath with me, I don't think it's the break I was looking for. I just want a few moments of your time when there are no extra eyes or ears. Then again, I could just create a sound barrier and an earthen dome to conceal us, but that's stuffy and artificial," I answer.

"Alright then. Let's just take a quick break in the room that houses the ascension artifact. It's private enough for whatever you seem to want to say. Also, what's with you teasing me like that all the time? Is that Tess trying to be funny or is that all you?" Arthur asks.

"A bit of both? Her feelings bleed over into mine, so it makes it hard to tell what's my own thought and what's hers. Why? Does it bother you?" I ask in response.

"Well, it doesn't bother me as much as it confuses me. It's like Aya is still here. You never got a chance to meet her, but if you ask Tess, she can tell you all about her. She's the reason The rest of the lances are still alive. Despite her consistent teasing and seductive tone, she cared about Dicathen and its people enough to give her life for them," Arthur replies. His face becomes sullen at the memories of a fallen comrade. All I can offer is a warm embrace for him to feel comfortable in. "Thank you, Cecilia."

"I don't need to have met her to tell you admired her in some capacity. Come on. Let's go to the ascension room," I suggest.

Arthur and I walk in relative silence toward the ascension room, with only the noise of our soles clacking against the marble floors. His sullen expression fades to reveal his usual stoic one. Mixed emotions brew within me to watch his face return to its usual expressionless nature. Even if it shows sadness, it's more refreshing than nothing at all.

As Arthur pushes open the door to the ascension room, it creaks to reveal a sight neither of us were expecting.

"It took you two long enough. I don't know whether to thank you or try and kill you. Have you had enough of shocking the world and making statements?" a female voice asks. Her familiar stern tone shakes Arthur a little not due to fear but relief and shock.

"Well, Seris, I'm not satisfied yet, no. It's fun putting Agrona in his place, but why are you here? Were you waiting for us?" Arthur asks.

"Need I remind you that this is my home?" Seris teases. "But yes, actually, I was waiting for you. Mostly so I could ask a single question. What now?"

"That's definitely a good question. I'll answer that in a bit, but first, I have a question too. Will you come with me into the Relictombs?" Arthur asks.

"For what reason?" Seris inquires.

"I need you to provide some humanization. My people in there don't see any of you as worth letting live. They're already not content that I've brought Caera in there. Well, some of them aren't content. My closest friends trust me fully, but those who have never met me can't say for sure," he answers.

"Wait! You have Caera?" Seris shouts.

Arthur's face dips in realization. He nods before speaking, "We do. It's my fault, but she's unconscious and has been for a while. It's effectively a coma. I'm sure she'll be okay, but I know she's going to be upset her body has atrophied. Then again, I guess I have a solution for that..."