Doubt

Alex

I sighed deeply and wondered what I was doing again. I can't continue this way. I can't feel this way toward my married boss. I hated drama and this was one hell of a drama. Maybe I should just quit before it got out of hand. But then, Josh and every other person who tried would be disappointed.

I exhaled again and looked at the cab driver. Yes, I was in a cab, running away with my tails between my legs. I had bid Bree goodbye and sneaked out of the diner. I was never one to shy away from confrontation. But this was different. Different because in a sense, Mrs. Hills was right. Though I might not have done anything with the husband, I would if I didn't tread with caution. What a mess! An absolute total mess.

"Have you decided ma'am?" The driver looked at me through the rearview mirror

"What do you think? should I get back to work or go home?"

The driver looked flustered. He was probably thinking I was crazy, which I was by the way "I wouldn't know ma'am. Are you running away from something? I don't mind taking you wherever you want"

"Is Vermont far enough?" I asked him, pretending to myself that I could do this. I have always loved Vermont, it was a beautiful state and I wished to live there someday.

"I could take you if you want" he looked at me again "or you could face your fears head-on, and see where this leads you. Running away has never been a solution. It only solves it temporarily"

He was right. As much as I would love to walk away from all the drama, I needed stability in my life. A job was also part of that stability.

"Take me to Hills Corporation," I said to the driver with more resolve. I could see a small smile on his face.

"Yes ma'am"

We got there in under ten minutes. We had been driving around so we strayed away from the office. And now that I was here, I started losing a little bit of the confidence I had gathered earlier. I got out of the elevator and walked slowly to my office. As I sat down, I saw that he had left me an email to come to his office upon my return.

I braced myself and walked into his office. He was standing and facing the window. Both hands were in his pockets.

"You've been in this office for an entire thirty-two minutes, and this is three thirty. It also means you've worked for half an hour for the day"

He then turned around to look at me. I was surprised to see how tall he was. I tuned him out as I saw his suit was back to its perfect look except for the lipstick stain on the collar of his dress shirt.

I frowned at that stain. And I frowned more after realizing Mrs. Hills must have done that on purpose. He is her husband, you idiot. My inner self reminded me.

"Have you been listening to me Alexandria?" He looked at me angrily and strode towards me. I backed away, yet he came closer.

"Don't ever run away from me Alexandria" I nodded, but he moved closer. "I expect an answer"

"Yes Mr. Hills"

"Damon"

"What?" I asked, feigning ignorance.

"It's Damon to you"

"I'm sorry but that's inappropriate"

"It's Damon to you. Say it" He commanded

"Damon," I said very softly. His hand came up to my chin very slowly. We were mere inches apart. I looked to see his eyes were dilated and I gulped, thinking he was going to kiss me. His thumb caressed my lips, and I gulped some more.