The calm before...

Alex

It was a beautiful day!

It's been 2 days since I walked out of the office. No, I didn't quit. I just decided to work from home and Damon knew not to fight me on it. He had gone on his business trip yesterday and I was having a blast today.

Josh and Bree came over and we spent some time watching Netflix. We all crammed ourselves into my bed which I complained about severally.  I was mortified when Josh revealed my sleeping habit to Bree and so I reciprocated and showed Bree all of Josh's baby pictures I had stored on my phone. Oh, the fun we had over his embarrassment certainly made my day.

Bree and I were becoming closer. We spent these few days having fun and clubbing. I didn't find her chirpiness annoying anymore. She was quite a nice person and I was glad to have met her.

Over the past few days, she was there for me when I stuck my face in ice cream over Damon's betrayal. I know what you're thinking, it was still a betrayal to me. I ate so much ice cream and then cried so much that I had added weight. I was a complete mess.

They enrolled me in a gym and asked me to beat the devil out of the speed bag. Oh, I did. I pictured Damon's face and it fuelled me more. When I pictured Lynette's face, I was sure to burst the bag. My friends stood in the corner as I vented my anger on the bag. It was exhilarating. I had never had so much excitement in my life. I was on a roll.

We were now in my apartment. I had gone to have my shower. When I came out, Josh did the usual routine for me to dress up.

"Uh- what's the deal between you two," Bree asked me as I was dressing up.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, both of you are practically living like a couple. Are you having sex?"

"Eew!" Josh scrunched his face. I mirrored the look.

"Hell no! I can't sleep with her!" He looked at me like I was disgusting.

"Excuse me! Why can't you sleep with me?" I picked offense. I guess I was being petty but I couldn't help being slighted over his comment.

"I didn't mean that. I was just saying it would be incestuous to even think of sex with you. Besides, you're not even my type"

"Jerk!" I threw a shoe at him which he dodged.

"This is what I'm saying. You fight like a couple, you play like a couple. Both of you are almost always together "

"Eew Bree! We are best friends. That, can't happen between us. Now, let's drop this sour topic" I said to her as I finished dressing up. Josh then made my hair.

"So who is Josh dating?"

"He doesn't have a girlfriend"

"And he is right here. Anyways, I don't have a girlfriend because Alex keeps scaring them away"

"What can I say, they are too bimbo and pesky"

"They are not. Your boyfriends were annoying"

"Whatever. Please take me to the store, I need to get groceries. Bree come on, Josh will drop you at home" We all entered Josh's car.

I had a phobia for driving. I got into an accident at age eighteen and almost hit someone. It was a traumatic experience, so I sold the car and never got behind the wheel anymore. Even if I bought a car, I'd employ a driver. But Josh had taken over that job. I preferred  using Uber but the stubborn idiot won't just let it be.

We dropped Bree at home and proceeded to the store. It was a breath of fresh air not being crowded by Matt. I was surprised to see that he had given me space but I had caught the SUV tailing me and Josh across town whenever we went out.

I still caught sight of the SUV as I entered the store. They parked a few meters away from me. Annoying bastard! He controlled me even in his absence.

I scanned the list of what I wanted. The essence is to stock the fridge before traveling to see my parents at the weekend. I knew there would be no time to go grocery shopping when I returned because I'd be busy at work.

I finished paying for the groceries and Josh helped me carry most of the stuff to the car. We left the store and I looked behind to see the SUV following us. I wind down the car window and stuck my middle finger at them. I felt giddy and naughty. It was a beautiful day, why not make the most of it?

We got to my building but Josh had to go. He was running late to work. He worked as a bartender and he was skilled in mixing drinks like a wizard. I shooed him away and convinced him that I could take the groceries upstairs myself. He grumbled but listened anyway.

My nosy neighbor, Mrs. Connel poked her nose outside. I waved at her but she closed her curtains. Just then Andrew the doorman came to help me carry some of the bags. I had not seen Andrew in a while and I was glad to see him today. Like I said, it was a great day.

We climbed upstairs. Andrew was in front of me while I was struggling to carry the bags. It happened too quickly. Andrew opened the door and a loud bang echoed in my ears. I saw myself flying in the air and hitting the floor. My vision blurred. I saw pieces of flesh. I tried to get up but the pain in my head overpowered the will to get up. I felt my eyes closing involuntarily. Bloody hell!

As I laid there unconscious, all I could think about was that It wasn't a beautiful day after all.

--------‐-------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, two chapters today.

I also didn't think it was a beautiful day for Alex. Things are becoming more tensed and violent. Enjoy the ride.

Kindly vote and comment.