Mona Lisa

Damon

I was in the middle of a meeting when my cell phone rang. My hands itched to smash the phone. I hated the damn thing, sadly I had to endure it. It was the generation. Everybody close to me knew I hated it, especially when it was ringing. So they either emailed or sent a message. 

It rang again and I considered one more time to either smash it or throw it out the window.

Mr. Knight who sat beside me looked at the vibrating phone. "You might want to take this Matt's call. He is so persistent "

I jerked at the caller's name. He was responsible for the most important thing in my life; my Mona Lisa.

Matt never called. He knew never to. He texted me when Lynette lost her mother. He texted me at Lynette's worst moment. He even texted me when they caught the scoundrel who stole my company's blueprint. But he never called.

There were only two occasions Matt had ever called me. He rang me when Paparazzi ambushed Alexandria. I had to pay some of them off and beat the stubborn ones. He rang me the day he couldn't pick her from her boyfriend's house;  and now he was ringing me.. 

It could only mean one thing...

I took the call and listened to the voice on the other line. When he finished speaking, I smashed the phone on the wall. A thing I had been itching to do since I got here.  It was satisfying.

"Gentlemen, this meeting is postponed. Someone hurt my Mona Lisa"

I got out of the conference room with a long stride. Tina, the secretary in this branch accosted me immediately.

"What is my schedule for today?" I asked her.

"Ten A.M meeting with the Energy Industry. One PM meeting with the Ambassador on the Presidential request. Three-thirty stakeholders meeting. You're in the state house tomorrow all day "

"Great. cancel everything and get the plane ready".

"Yes sir"

I walked back to the office and pondered who I needed to kill for hurting her. No slight, this would be handled. 

In no time, Tina came to inform me that the car and the plane was ready. I got into the car and was driven to the airstrip. I failed to remember the moment I boarded the plane because my mind was miles away. The twelve hour flight back to the United States didn't do anything to my body. My body was rolling with an energy, an energy to punch someone.

We landed and was driven to one of my hotels where my security details had set up a mini conference room. I opened the door and all eight men in the room stood up. I asked them to sit.

The eight chairs around the table were packed with my best and brightest men. Around the four walls stood more of my trusted troops. Though they were thick-necked killers who did their deeds efficiently and without remorse, they looked like clowns in their cheaply expensive suits. I would have smiled at their silliness, but the urgency of the moment prevented smiling. I was listening.

"Sir, we went in immediately Matt informed us. We had little time to scope the area before the cops arrived. We were able to retrieve some fragments of the bomb" One of the chairs said.

"From the assessment we made, it was done by a professional but it seemed hurried, like they had little time to put the bomb together" Another chair said.

"We cleared all the residents in the apartment, they seemed innocent"

The first chair interrupted "But why her? She had no enemies. She is insignificant, and she-" I heard a shuffle under the table. someone must have kicked his legs about his statement but I ignored. Patience was always my strongest attributes.

"We know that it was done hurriedly. We know they used the period she went shopping to plan it. We know it was not a mistake and that she was the target" A different chair said.

"We also know that the boyfriend knows nothing about it. He was distraught according to Matt"

"All right, all right. You all are geniuses. So who did it?" It was a question I knew they had not found an answer to. They all bowed their heads and avoided my eyes.

"We are looking at her enemies and possible suspects, hopefully we will get something by the end of the day" The first chair responded having gotten over his previous mistake.

I stood and glanced around the room. "So what about the woman?" I asked in the direction of the first chair. They stared at each other thoroughly confused about the question.

"The woman!" I said sternly. "What about the woman?"

All eyes shot desperately around the table and quickly landed upon the first chair. "I'm sorry, sir, I'm confused."

I leaned into the first chair's face whose name was Ed. "What about the woman Ed? Didn't we deploy a woman as a tenant there to be our eyes on her? Isn't she monitoring the CCTV we had placed in her room?

Every head in the room nodded quickly. The first chair looked at me with admiration "We will meet with her" 

I sat back down having made my point. "So you fucking morons just let her walk into a bomb, in her own house, where you were supposed to protect?" They looked ashamed and that was good.

"I should have your heads in spikes" I continued

My hands itched. I regarded whether to actually carry out that threat. I looked at each idiots and my hands itched again. It would be a bloody waste of my time. I exhaled, and they exhaled a breath of relief.

"So where is she now?"

"St. Memorials" They left first chair to be their spokesman, pathetic.

"You idiots left her in the hands of incompetent fools like you? Great. Absolutely great." I looked at every one of them again and I shook my head.

"Clear an entire floor in the Mansion. Call the medical team. Equip the floor with every medical tool. I don't care how relevant or irrelevant the tool is, equip the floor. Then let them heal her. In that order. This must be done. The next time I see her, she will be cussing me with her big mouth"

They all nodded like I said a wise thing; which I did. Because, anything contrary to what I had said would actually result in someone's head on a spike.

"Now, you morons should make yourselves useful" They all dispersed, almost at the same time. This was good. They were yielding to instructions.

I sat down with my hands on the table. I looked at the wall. It wasn't giving me answers. I loosened my tie and looked around the conference room, nothing. Just then Matt walked in and I smiled. He braced for the impact as I got up and punched him in the face. He crumpled to the floor.

I felt much better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed this part. I love Alex but my favorite character is Damon. Who is your favorite character?

Anyways, know that Damon is a very powerful billionaire, so he has all these resources within his reach. He is also dangerous in his own way. We will see more of his influence in the following chapters.

Vote, comment and follow me please