Chapter XII

Character Information:
(Y/N): Your Name
(L/N): Last Name
(E/C): Eye Color
(F/C): Favorite Color

That morning, Naruto and Sai went through a training excercise where they had to catch Yamato. In the end, Sai allowed Naruto to be caught, while he captured Yamato himself.

(Y/N) and Sakura watched from the sidelines.

Yamato: Nice catch, Sai. We'll the end the simulations here.

Naruto walked over to Sai and grabbed his shirt.

Sai: Problem?

Naruto: Do you know what the word comrade means?

Sai wrote the word on one of his scrolls and showed it to Naruto.

Sai: As a matter of fact, I do.

Naruto gnashed his teeth in anger.

(Y/N): Oh, boy...

Sakura: N-Naruto, wait...

Sai: Seriously, don't go blaming others for your own shortcomings. It's impractical to fight while covering for someone who can't maintain his cool, not to mention dangerous. I simply considered what would best ensure mission success and acted accordingly.

Naruto: I... will never accept you as a comrade or as a member of this team!

Yamato: <sighing> This is not going to work...

Sai: I wonder what Sasuke would have done in this scenario? Would he have fought while covering you? Somehow I doubt it. He betrayed our village and tried to kill you. And you still consider him a comrade?

Naruto: Yes... and I would still do anything to save him. Even team up with you.

He walked away.

(Y/N) frowned.

Sai: This obsession with Sasuke, it's absurd.

Sakura: Naruto thinks of Sasuke as a brother. You have an older brother so you must know what that's like.

Sai: No. Remember our conversation about the picture titles? I don't have feelings?

(Y/N): What do you mean you don't have feelings? He's your brother. Surely you must feeling something for him.

Sai: <fake smiling> I mean exactly what I said.

(Y/N): Still, you have to be able to imagine, even just a little, what it would feel like to lose your brother.

Sai: <fake smiles> Ah, well, you see... my brother is dead.

Sakura and (Y/N) stared at Sai, eyes wide.

Sakura: Even more of a reason to feel something, then...

Sai: And what face would I make to show that I did? One like that?

He pointed over to Naruto, who was picking up his backpack with a blank expression on his face.

Sakura: Sai, I don't...

Sai: Well, when my brother died, I didn't know what kind of expression I was supposed to be making.

(Y/N) raised an eyebrow, while an irk mark formed on Sakura's forehead.

Yamato: Enough chitchat. We're falling behind schedule, so everyone grab your packs.

Sakura brushed past Sai, annoyed.