Chapter XLIV

Character Information:
(Y/N): Your Name
(L/N): Last Name
(E/C): Eye Color
(F/C): Favorite Color

Naruto and Kakashi entered Tsunade's office. It had been a couple of days since they had gotten back from their mission involving the Six-Tails' Jinchuriki.

When the blond boy entered, he saw that Sakura, Sai, and (Y/N) were already there, along with a couple of toads.

Shizune and Minerva were both standing next to Tsunade who was sitting at her desk.

Naruto realized that everyone was staring at him. He raised an eyebrow as he took a step forward towards Tsunade's desk.

A small, elderly toad then spoke up. He had white hair.

???: So this is Jiraiya boy's student, is it?

Tsunade: Yes. This is Naruto Uzumaki. The child of prophecy you spoke of.

Naruto: What's with the old geezer frog? Who's he?

Tsunade: Pipe down. Watch your mouth, Naruto. He is one of the two great sages of Mount Myoboku, Lord Fukasaku. He traveled all the way here just so that he could speak with you.

Fukasaku: Well, to be more accurate, I'm a Great Sage Toad, but never mind that. It doesn't matter. Answer me this. Are you really Jiraiya boy's student, or aren't you?

Naruto: Jiraiya boy? A boy?! Don't treat the Pervy Sage like a kid! Who does this geezer frog think he is, anyway?

(Y/N): Naruto!

Tsunade: I told you already, watch your mouth!

Shizune: Naruto, he's the one who taught the Sage Jutsu to Lord Jiraiya. He's Jiraiya's master.

Naruto: <surprised> Huh?

Fukasaku: <laughing> So you call him the Pervy Sage? I've never heard a more fitting name for Jiraiya boy.

Naruto: What does this geezer sage want? What did he come so far to talk to me about?

Fukasaku: <sighs> I'm not exactly sure where to begin this, but let me see... I suppose the most important thing is... I'm afraid Jiraiya boy has died in battle.

Naruto: <shocked> Huh...?

He took a step back, trying to balance himself.

Naruto: What are you talking about?

Everyone stared at Naruto, sympathetically.

Fukasaku: I know that this is very sudden, so I understand if you don't believe me. For some time now, rumors had been circulating that the leader of the Akatsuki was operating out of the Village Hidden in the Rain, so Jiraiya boy went there in person to verify whether those rumors were true.

Sakura: The leader of the Akatsuki was in the Hidden Rain Village?

Sai: As I recall, that village is difficult to infiltrate. It's entirely closed off from the outside world.

Kakashi: Yes, but Master Jiraiya was exceptionally skilled in infiltration and espionage tactics.

(Y/N): So I take it he found the leader?

Fukasaku: Yes. Pain was former student of Jiraiya boy's from many, many years ago.

Sakura: He was his student? What do you mean by that?

Fukasaku: I don't know the particulars, but Jiraiya boy called him Nagato.

Minerva: I remember there were mentions of Jiraiya taking up students back during the Second Great Ninja War.