Chapter XXVI

Character Information:
(Y/N): Your Name
(L/N): Last Name
(E/C): Eye Color
(F/C): Favorite Color

Asuma's funeral was held the next day. Almost the entire village came to pay their respects to the Third Hokage's son.

Kurenai knelt in front of Asuma's grave, holding a bouquet of flowers.

Naruto had his hand of Konohamaru's shoulder as the latter cried over his uncle.

(Y/N) was standing next to Ino, her hand in his. Choji was beside her, and Shikamaru was nowhere to be found.

Ino: Where is Shikamaru?

Choji: I thought my mom said that he left already...

(Y/N): We should just let him deal with his grief in his own way.

Ino squeezed his hand. She gave him a small smile.

After the funeral, groups of people stood around in the cemetery talking.

The Konoha 12 (minus Shikamaru) stood together, giving their apologies to Ino and Choji.

Sakura hugged Ino.

Sakura: I'm sorry. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you.

Ino: Thanks.

(Y/N) was talking to Neji and Hinata.

Neji: Those Akatsuki guys must have been incredibly powerful.

(Y/N): I mean, we knew what we were getting into when we engaged them in battle, but yeah, they surpassed my expectations.

Hinata: B-But you did fight an Akatsuki member before.

(Y/N): Yes. Sasori. I don't know. The two that we fought had very strange powers. And it didn't help that my powers screwed up mid-battle.

Kiba and Shino walked over to them.

Kiba: We heard about that. You can't use your weird powers anymore?

(Y/N): No. It's for my own safety. Whatever experimenting I was subjected to when I was a child is messing up.

Shino: Can you still use your Copy Jutsu?

(Y/N): I... I don't know. It doesn't require the alien-like chakra I use when I enter my alien form, but it is a byproduct of the experimentation.

Hinata: I-I'm sorry, (Y/N). It must be very hard for you.

(Y/N): Not as hard as what Ino, Choji, and Shikamaru are dealing with...

Kiba: Those guys are bad news. To kill a Jonin as skilled as Asuma-sensei...

Neji: Things are only going to get harder from here on out. There's the Akatsuki we're dealing with, plus Sasuke and Orochimaru... And who knows what the woman who experimenged on (Y/N) is thinking.

(Y/N): <nodding> And we can't do anything about it either.

Naruto put his hand on (Y/N)'s shoulder.

Naruto: Kakashi-sensei told me what happened. How are you doing?

(Y/N): I've been better. Pretty soon, Lady Tsunade will begin her tests on me to see if we can figure out what the hell's going on with my body.

Naruto: I want to help anyway I can.

(Y/N): I appreciate that, Naruto. I really do.

He ruffled his blond hair, smiling slightly.