Chapter 2

(17 years ago)

The Hargreeves house was dead silent as every child was doing their own things.

Kali was in the library with Ben, he was reading and she was drawing.

Five was in his room doing equations, Luther and Allison were probably making out, Klaus was probably setting something on fire, Diego was cleaning his knives and Vanya was playing her violin.

"Hey, Kali?" Ben called from his spot on the other side of the bookshelf.

She hummed in response not looking up from her sketchbook.

He got up and walked over to her, "I just finished this book, got any good recommendations?"

She looked up at him and smiled. Standing up she walked past a few shelves and stopped at one that was nearly at the back and grabbed a book.

Ben looked at it and carefully grabbed it from her hand and read the back to see what it was about.

He looked back at her beaming and thanked her. Just then the supper bell rang and each child headed downstairs to the dining room and stood by their chairs.

Luther and Allison were across from each other, and Klaus, Ben and Kali sat beside Allison. Diego and Five sat beside Luther while Vanya sat at the end.

Their father walked into the room and looked at all the children, "Sit!" He ordered.

They all sat and began to eat in complete silence.

Luther and Allison gave each other lovey-dovey looks, Diego was scratching stuff into his chair, Klaus was rolling up a joint, Ben was reading the book Kali suggested and Kali and Vanya just ate in silence.

Kali looked up from her food and at Five, he hasn't even taken a bite yet. He just kept staring at their father.

The girl narrowed her eyes at the boy but continued to eat nonetheless.

Five stabbed his knife into the table and Kali flinched. Five sent an apologetic look to her before turning his glare to their father.

"Number Five?" He questioned without looking up from his food.

"I have a question" Five declared.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal. But you know the rules, no talking during meal times. You are interrupting Herr Carlson." Reggie said, raising his fork.

Five shoved his plate into Kalis, "I want to time travel"

"No."

"But I'm ready! I've been practicing my spatial jumps just like you said!" Five exclaimed, standing up from his seat and blinking beside their father. "See?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn." Reggie said, raising his wine glass.

"Well, I don't get it."

"Hence the reason you're not ready."

Five looked toward the table and Kali and Vanya both shook their heads.

"I'm not afraid," Five said turning back to their father.

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body. Even your mind are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore." Their father exclaimed, throwing down his cutlery.

Five turned around quickly and ran out of the room, "Number Five! You haven't been excused!"

Kali stood up and aggressively pushed her chair back, "Five!"