Chapter 16

When Kali awoke to the feeling of arms wrapped around her, she immediately panicked. She couldn't remember anything from the night before so she didn't know who was holding her. She squirmed a bit, her lip quivering, and her eyes squeezed tightly shut. The room was pitch black and she couldn't see anything even if she did manage to turn around and look at the person.

Five woke up from the movement and then heard a small whimper, he took a moment to process and then quickly let go of her. She quickly moved away from him and was about to get up when Five spoke, "Kali, I'm sorry."

She breathed out a sigh of relief and laid back down, "It's fine." She whispered tiredly. She moved back beside him and snuggled into him again, this time her face in his chest, he was surprised about how fast she recovered from the scare.

This time he decided to ask first, "Can I hold you?"

"Mhm." She hummed, already falling asleep again. He wrapped his arms back around her and rested his chin on her head.

"Do you remember what I told you last night?"

She shook her head slightly and he sighed, "We have to go see the old man soon." She groaned quietly and closed her eyes. "I know, I feel the same way." He chuckled.

"When?" She whispered.

"Uh..." He looked over his shoulder at an alarm clock and read the time, "Forty minutes."

"Fuck." She murmured into his chest.

"You can go back to sleep, I'll watch the time." He reassured.

"Mm." She hummed in thanks and passed out a second later.

. . .

10 minutes before they had to leave Five unwrapped his arms from her and sat up in bed. He grabbed her hand and lightly ran his thumb over the back of it. She stirred and looked up at his silhouette.

"Time to go, love."

She sighed and sat up as well, she still got flustered by the pet name but she could play it off better now.

"You wanna get changed first or something? We have 10 minutes, so if you do, you gotta hurry." He informed.

She jumped out of bed and went to her dresser, she grabbed a dark blue oversized hoodie that Elliot had bought her and a pair of black leggings (I don't think they had leggings in the 60s but just go with it). She rushed out of the room and to the bathroom, she quickly got changed into the new clothing and brushed her hair so that it fell neatly over her shoulders. She opened the door and Five was leaning against the wall with one foot up, he pushed off the wall with his foot and offered a hand to her. She pulled the sleeves over her hands and took it with a small smile, he blinked them in front of the building and they stared up at it. A big LED sign was on the top, it read, 'Southland Life"

Five looked down at the invitation in his hand and back up at the building before shoving it in his pocket. They walked into the building and climbed up what felt like a million stairs. They finally came across an elevator and Five pressed a button.

While they waited Five turned to look at Kali, "Ready?"

"With you? Always" She whispered with a small smile.

The elevator dinged and the two walked in, Five scanned the buttons and pressed the one for the top floor. He sighed shakily and shoved his hands in his pockets.

Just as the doors began to slide close, a hand gripped it so that it would stop and the two looked up from the floor. "Wait up." The doors slid open and revealed Diego. The man walked in and stood on the other side of Kali who smiled up at him and he smiled back.