Chapter 14

Five leaned on the car with his arms crossed and Kali stood beside him, copying his actions. They were waiting for Vanya to finish talking with Luther.

Kali sighed, "I'm sorry I punched you in the face." She murmured.

"It's fine. I deserved it." He shrugged, turning his head to look at her.

"No, you don't. I-I don't know what's wrong with me. Ever since... Allison... I just... I don't know." She whispered, looking down at her feet.

"There's nothing wrong with you. I've been an asshole. I deserve to get way more than a punch in the face." He reassured.

She couldn't respond to him, either just cause she had nothing to say or she simply couldn't talk anymore, she didn't necessarily know but she took out her headphones and put them back on.

A loud crash was heard from the building and the two looked up. Luther peered through a hole in the brick wall and Five scoffed with a smile on his face. Kali zoned out and stared intently ahead of her.

A minute later Vanya walked out of the building and Five walked up to her, "Well, that went well. You ready to go?"

She walked past him, "I'm going back to the farm." She deadpanned.

Five ran to catch up to her, "Hey. Unacceptable, Vanya. Remember, we need to stick together."

She turned around, "Oh, why, so I don't end the world again?"

Five scoffed and looked back at Luther, "Stupid."

"Were you even going to tell me?" She asked, opening the door to the car.

"You know what? In my defense, no. All right? And can you blame me? When you... you get angry, shit blows up."

"Great. Any other family secrets you failed to mention?" She asked as she got in the car.

"A boatload, Vanya, which I don't have the luxury of sharing with the-" He knocked on the window for her to open it, and he continued when she rolled it down. "The clock is ticking on doomsday. Just tell me that when I need you, you'll be ready."

"I can't help you, Five. I don't even know who I am." She told him and started the engine. Kali snapped out of it and hurriedly moved away from the car.

"You're our sister. And a member of the Umbrella Academy. Like it or not that's who you are."

"Look, that's who I was, okay? The new timeline, new me." And with that, she drove away.

"No, that's not how it works-" Five tried to call after her.

He sighed and looked at Luther again, the man looked back at them and flipped the two off.

"Wonder if it's too late to be un-adopted." He questioned. She looked at him and shrugged. They could technically get un-adopted if Reginald, in this timeline, if he suddenly changes his mind. And then she would never have met Five and her siblings. She released a shaky breath and realized Five had been staring at her while she thought about his question. She quickly plastered a fake smile on her face. Something she's been doing a lot lately, but if it meant Five thought she was okay, she'd do it every day for the rest of her life.

The boy looked at her unconvinced and sighed, she obviously didn't want to talk about it. He supposed he would have to respect that.

. . .

Diego lay on the couch whilst Lila changed his bandage and Five paced behind the couch with Kali so close behind him that she was nearly stepping on his heels. She had over thought her answer to Five's question so much that she had convinced herself that if she took her eyes off of Number Five for a second he would magically be erased from existence.