My Favourite Doppelgangers

"Tell everyone I wasn't feeling well so I went home from school and River came with me since she had a free period." Elena explained.

"I can't believe I'm agreeing to this." Caroline muttered, "I'm a terrible liar."

"Keep Stefan busy." Elena continued, ignoring Caroline's comment, "I don't want him knowing what I'm up to."

"I'm even worse at duplicity." Caroline pleaded, "And you know this."

"You managed to keep me occupied when Katherine paid Stefan a visit." Elena countered.

"Yeah because she threatened me." Caroline reasoned.

"I can threaten you." River stated, earning her a glare from Caroline.

"Stefan is going to see straight through me." Caroline continued.

"Caroline, as my friend, do you promise or not?" Elena asked.

...this feels manipulative...

"You had to break out the girlfriend code." Caroline sighed, "Okay. I promise."

"Okay." Elena said.

"Why don't you want Stefan to know?" Caroline questioned.

Because the Salvatores are overprotective as fuc-

"Because he would never be okay with me doing this." Elena answered as the girls entered the tomb.

"It smells like tuna fish vomited up ranch dressing before it died in this room." River muttered.

"Imagine it with heightened smell." Caroline added, "Are you sure you two want to do this?"

"Yes." Elena stated, "She's the one who knows the truth about Klaus."

Ah yeah, ancient vampire Elena told me about earlier. 

"And the only one who can tell me how to stop him." Elena added.

"But you're asking for the truth from someone who has probably never given it." Caroline countered. "Are you sure about this?" Caroline repeated anxiously.

"Yes, I can't just sit back and wait." Elena explained, "I have to know Caroline." Caroline reluctantly looked between the tomb door and her friends, still not liking the idea. "Please." Elena pleaded. Hesitantly, Caroline lifted the the large rock from the doorway, revealing the tomb. "Katherine." Elena called out. After receiving no response, Elena turned back to Caroline. "We'll be okay from here." Elena reassured. 

Before Caroline could object, the sound of dragged footsteps escaped the tomb. Slowly, Katherine's figure came into view as she stumbled towards the opening of the cave. As she continued her walk towards the door, Katherine had to catch herself on the wall as she was too weak for her legs to continue supporting her.

"Hello, Elena." Katherine croaked, "You come to watch me wither away? Goodbye Caroline." 

"As long as I stay on this side of the door, she can't hurt me." Elena reasoned as Caroline delayed her departure. "Please." Elena requested. Once Caroline left, River, lacking her usual intelligence, walked into the tomb.

"Hello, Lover." Katherine acknowledged flirtatiously as River entered the tomb. River, noticing Elena who looked like someone had just shot a puppy, spoke.

"I'm human." River explained, "As long as Katherine doesn't physically restrain me I can come and go as I please." Elena reluctantly placed the bag she had been carrying down before Katherine spoke again.

"Does Stefan know you are here?" Katherine asked.

"I brought you somethings." Elena stated, ignoring Katherine's question.