Christmas in July

"So what are we doing?" Nik asked as he tightened his arms around her waist.

"We are making a gingerbread house." River explained as she relaxed her body under Nik's hold, her back resting against his chest.

"It's July." Nik observed, recalling that making gingerbread houses was usually a Christmas activity which was done in December.

"Don't be a Grinch." River warned, "Have you never heard of Christmas in July?"

"Oh I have." Nik reassured, fighting the smile on his lips.

"Is this funny to you?" River questioned as she heard the amusement in Nik's voice without even needing to see his expression.

"More ironic." Nik corrected.

"How is Christmas in July ironic?" River asked, her mind trying to understand Nik's thought process.

"Not that." Nik clarified.

"Don't be a Grinch?" River repeated, still not following. Nik's silence was all River needed to confirm her idea. "Nik that's a work of fiction I don't really think it's ironic- NO." River trailed off before the realisation hit her. River quickly spun out of Nik's hold as she turned to face him, noticing his guilty expression instantly.

"Are you the actual Grinch?" River skepticised, not wanting to believe him.

"I may or may not have had some influence on the original story." He admitted guiltily.

"You're kidding right?"

"If you had seen this town's Christmas decorations you would have reacted in the exact same way." Nik reassured.

"You stole a whole town's worth Christmas decorations?" River questioned in disbelief.

"Sure." Nik lied, knowing that the actual story was much worse.

"You killed a whole town over Christmas decorations?" River whisper-shouted, recalling that Delilah was asleep upstairs.

"I didn't kill them." Nik objected. "If they happened to get caught in the fire I started then that hardly seems like my fault." Nik rambled quietly.

"WHAT?"

-----

"Seems like we are done." Nik decided as he looked down at the house which was now finally standing up without assistance after numerous failed attempts.

"Nice try but we still need to decorate." River countered as she gathered the different treats she had retrieved to decorate the house. Nik let out a soft huff before he ran his nose along the side of her neck and placed a kiss to her sweet spot. "The sooner we make this house stand up and look good, the sooner we can activate the bond." River bribed, knowing that it would motivate him.

Nik quickly pulled away from her neck, accidentally flashing his hybrid eyes at her as he tried to control himself. 

"Be patient." River scolded playfully as she handed Nik a packet of M&M's.

"Only you, River, can tell Klaus Mikaelson to be patient." Nik muttered.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment."

-----

"That took way too long." River muttered as she looked at the gingerbread house they had finally finished making.  

"Yeah but I must say the architecture is phenomenal. It could use another gingerbread man in the front yard though." Nik critiqued, "Such a shame that Timmy was murdered."

"You were the one who ate Timmy's leg." River countered, recalling the extra gingerbread man that they had previously had and had named Timmy.

"His leg was already broken off." Nik recalled. "And I was more than happy to be amputee-inclusive in our gingerbread house until you ate the rest off him."

"What can I say?" River started, "Timmy was tasty."

"Where did you even find a gingerbread house making kit in July?" Nik questioned after a moment.

"I made it." River answered, "It's my grandmother's recipe and she is convinced I make it better than she does so every time I go to visit her I make a bunch of it."

"When are you going to see her?" Nik asked.

"I was planning to go this weekend with Delilah." River stated. Nik let out a pleased hum as he ran his nose along her neck, his chest to her back whilst she stared at the hard work they had put into the gingerbread house. "Okay fine." River said after a moment of Nik nuzzling increasingly harder against the side of her neck, "We can activate the bond now."

"Thank God." Nik muttered to himself as he spun River around before pressing her up against the kitchen counter behind her. Startled by sudden pressure, River caught herself with her hands which quickly gripped the edge of the counter. 

well that escalated quickl- his hand is on my ass now isn't it?

Nik instantly pressed his lips to hers, his hands roaming her body before he moved his lips down to begin worshipping the skin around her throat and collarbone. Nik then cupped the side of River's face with one of his hands before he returned his lips to hers. 

After a moment, Nik removed his lips, pulling the hand which was on the side of her face away just enough so that he could bite into his wrist, his eyes checking River's for any reluctance as he did so.

With no hesitance, River then began to drink from the bite, knowing that Nik would probably heal the fastest out of all of the siblings. Nik's free hand quickly came up to rest on the back on River's head, his inner vampire lost in the craving she was fulfilling.

"Fuck." Nik moaned under his breath as River pulled his wrist even closer to her lips. As River continued to drink from him, having learnt that the more she drank during the activation, the more pleasure it seemed to bring both parties, Nik had to rest his head on her shoulder, his body pressed up against hers as the pure and utter ecstasy he was experiencing overwhelmed his mind.

Once River pulled away her breathing began to quicken, trying to make up for the air she had lost whilst she transferred hers and Nik's weight onto the counter behind them.

"Are you okay?" River asked after a moment, still struggling to catch her breath.

"Never better."

-----

"So what are we all doing here, Finn?" Rebekah questioned as she looked around the room containing all of her siblings.

"I need to tell you all something." Finn answered.

"Out with it then." Nik encouraged, "You know there is a time limit for how long our family can be in the same room before we self-destruct."

"River has another soulmark." Finn admitted.

"Murder it is." Kol muttered.

"Kol." Elijah warned. "How do you know this?" Elijah questioned, returning his attention to Finn.

"When I was explaining the marks to her she mentioned having six sets of initials and when I tried to correct her she read them out and she was right." Finn explained.

"Care to share what these extra initials are?" Nik urged, growing rather impatient under the circumstances. Finn hesitated before he continued, knowing that Niklaus was the most likely to have the worst reaction.

"Well as you know this person should be directly related to us but also be the same species." Finn continued.

"Finn I'm going to give you three seconds to say she isn't mated to out father or else I will decapitate you." Rebekah warned.

"She's not." Finn blurted out, his eyes flickering up to Nik as he knew that all parties had to share a blood relation to share a mate and Mikael and Niklaus weren't technically related.

"I get that you're a bit behind on social interactions this century, Brother." Kol began, "But this is your cue to say who it is."

"The initials are H.M." Finn stated softly causing the room to fall silent.