It's Going to be Okay

what the fuck?

River forced herself to pause for a moment as she tried to comprehend what had just happened around her. One second she was sitting on the floor beside Hayley, listening to her rank all of the foster homes she had stayed in throughout her childhood; The next she's being pulled into someone's chest whilst she heard the thud of what she presumed to be a body thrown against the wall.

Once River was able to free herself of the tight hold which she had recognised as Finn's, she was then able to look around the room for the first time. The first thing she noticed was all of the Mikaelsons, excluding Finn who was beside her, glaring daggers (and not the white oak ash type) at Hayley who was being pinned up against the wall from her throat by Nik. She then proceeded to notice Damon, Stefan, and Elena who were all watching from the doorway.

Ah jeez

"Don't take it out on her she saved my ass." River remarked as she ran her hand over her forehead, her supernatural healing working overtime to aid her drunken state.

"What?" Kol questioned as Nik tried to subtly drop Hayley back to the floor. Nik's plan, however, failed as the thump of Hayley touching the floor again was easily heard. Hayley then continued to scan the room with wide eyes.

This is why I can't make any new friends.

"Yeah," River started, "Mr Hunter was about to go all stakey-stakey on me. So then Hayley was all wonder woman-ey and saved my ass." 

The silence among the room then urged her to continue.

"And then we drank a bottle of vodka and it turns out she can join our dead parents club." River explained.

"Now that makes more sense." Damon accepted.

"Shut up," Rebekah snapped, turning to face him, "You're not a part of this. Why are you even here?"

"Damn." Damon deadpanned, "You hurt my feelings, Bex."

"I would hurt something else if River wouldn't be pissed at me for it." Rebekah threatened.

"It would appear we are getting slightly off topic." Elijah analysed. Hayley, who had previously been staring at the ground out of fear for her life, finally raised her gaze to see Elijah.

"Oi." River warned, as she recognised the way Hayley was looking at Elijah, "Paws off. You got your puppy now stay away from mine."

"Isn't Nik technically the only puppy you have?" Stefan asked.

Do these people forget I have an ACTUAL dog?

"I mean I know they all act like little puppies for you, but biologically Nik is actually the only puppy." Stefan continued to explained whilst Elijah, who was feeling rather objectified by Hayley and the current conversation, retreated to hide behind River for emotional support.

"Biologically I'll kick your ass." Nik objected, flashing his hybrid eyes at Stefan.

"I'm sorry it's just a habit around men who seem rich and have European accents." Hayley genuinely apologised quietly whilst everyone else was distracted with physically restraining Nik and protecting Stefan.

Understandable.

"Don't talk to her." Rebekah snapped as she saw Hayley whispering to River.

"Jealous much?" Kol taunted as Rebekah moved to put herself in between River and Hayley.

"Have we entirely lost the reason we are all in here?" Finn questioned.

"No," Nik corrected, "Love, are you sure that's all that happened in here and there is nothing you're keeping from us?"