69 - 9 + 's = Decade Dance

"I hate this." River muttered as she watched Elena and Stefan communicate behind her. "If you two want to sit next to each other, be my guest, I don't want to be in the middle of this PDA bath." River stated as she gestured to Elena and Stefan who were on either side of her.

Elena, clearly in a playfully irritated state... because that's something that people in stable relationships can feel... then showed River the flyer she was previously showing Stefan.

"The '60s" River deadpanned, "Filled with rock music, afros, mini skirts, and the Cold war. Perfect combo."

"She gets it." Elena said to Stefan, gesturing to River.

"You clearly don't." River uttered, earning her an eyeroll before Elena turned to Bonnie. "Thoughts on the '60s?" River asked Stefan as she turned to him.

"Bad." Stefan stated simply.

"Fair." River said as the final students entered the classroom.

"Hello, class." Klaric announced as he entered the classroom, not acknowledging any of the students, "What are we learning today?"

Is he drunk?

"With the decade dance, we've been covering the '60s all week." Dana answered after a moment whilst Klaric flicked through a textbook.

"Right." Klaric said, "The '60s."

I wish I could be as drunk as Ric right now.

"The, uh, '60s." Klaric started as he finally looked over the class for the first time, his eyes focussing on Elena, "I wish there was something good I could say about the '60s but they kind of sucked."

'You were right' River wrote on a slip of paper which she then slid over to Stefan causing him to hide his smile as Klaric continued speaking.

"Except for the Beatles, of course. They made it bearable." Klaric added.

'He is so hungover' Stefan wrote on the other side of slip of paper River had given him.

'It's embarrassing' River wrote back on a new slip of paper.

"What else was there?" Klaric rambled, "The Cuban missile thing. The oh- We walked the moon. There was Watergate."

"Watergate was in the '70s, Ric." Elena interrupted, "I mean Mr Saltzman."

awkward...

"Right. It kind of mushes together up here, the '60s, 70's." Klaric stated, gesturing to his head, "Thank you, Elena."

'THAT was embarrassing' Stefan wrote back causing River to cover her mouth with her hand in order to hide her smile. Unfortunately, River's gesture attracted Klaric's eyes causing their gazes to meet for the first time. Klaric's expression fell as River dropped her handsince she did not want Alaric to think she was doing anything wrong... which she was.

Klaric then appeared to be taken aback as he held River's gaze. Trying to piece together what was happening, River's eyes flickered over to Stefan who was already watching their interaction curiously. As the moment continued, other students began to notice where Klaric's gaze was focussed in his silence.

Can someone make a loud noise or something-

"Anyways" Klaric started as he returned his attention to the chalkboard in front of him.

'That was weird' Stefan wrote on the slip of paper.

'Tell me about it' River wrote back.

-----

"Where the hell are you?" River asked as Elena finally answered her phone.