It's Not All Bad

Finn entered the bedroom River was residing in, closing the door behind himself. Now in the darkness River had surrounded herself with, he lay down beside River on the bed. 

As River was facing away from him, Finn turned towards her before raising his arm to rest over her body.

"Don't." River snapped before Finn could even put down his arm.

"River." Finn tried, softly wrapping his arm around her.

"Don't." River repeated, her tone remaining the same despite her voice cracking slightly. When Finn's hold didn't falter, River tried to push off his arm but her attempts rendered useless as Finn merely tightened his arm around her.

River, knowing that she wasn't going to be able to overpower Finn, reluctantly accepted his affection after a moment.

"Talk to me." Finn encouraged, slipping his other arm under the dip in her waist to hold her even closer. River shook her head in response, trying to shrug off Finn's touch as she felt physically sick to her stomach with herself. "River." Finn warned as she struggled against him, trying to escape his hold. "River-" Finn started again but stopped as he turned on the lamp beside the bed, allowing him to finally see her.

"Stop." River threatened, quickly pulling a blanket over her body to try and hide herself. 

"River," Finn uttered quietly, gently tracing over her body, "Baby." Of course Finn had seen how well-seasoned  Kol had been with blood upon their return but he hadn't quite appreciated how much Kol had influenced River.

"I don't-" River started as Finn tried to get her to let go of the blanket.

"Let me." Finn instructed, cutting her off before River finally stopped fighting him.

-----

Without saying anything, Finn cleaned off the blood from River's face and chest. River searched his eyes for disgust, rage, repulse, aversion, anything to validate what she was feeling... but there was nothing.

"You really should shower after this." Finn recommended as he did his best to clean the blood from her hair.

"Ouch." River mocked.

"You know that's not what I meant." Finn corrected.

"Yeah, yeah." River muttered, refocussing her gaze onto a random tile on the floor.

"Okay." Finn accepted after a few more moments passed. "I'm done."

"Thank you." River mumbled awkwardly, putting on the spare shirt which Finn had just handed to her.

"I can go and get you some food now." Finn offered.

"Don't go." River denied as she pulled Finn back towards her. 

"Alright, My Love." Finn accepted, pulling her into his chest. River wrapped her arms around his back instinctually, her hands coming up to rest on his shoulders.

River quickly relaxed under Finn's hold, her heightened senses allowing her to appreciate the full comfort of the soulmate bond.

"You can't blame yourself for what happened." Finn stated after a moment.

"But it was my fault." River argued. 

"Don't do that." Finn countered. "I know you think it's your fault but I need you to trust me that it wasn't. If you're looking for someone to blame, Kol has made himself a bright red target with flashing lights."

River pressed soft kiss to Finn's collarbone, a silent thank you as he continued to comfort her.

"Being a vampire isn't all bad." Finn continued, trailing his fingers up her spine as lightly as he could.