Scared... but not really

"Come on." River encouraged as picked up the tub of chocolate mousse and grabbed another spoon for herself.

"Where are we going?" Finn questioned as he followed her.

"We are going to watch TV." River answered simply.

"Are we going to watch more Keeping Up with the Kardashians?" Finn asked with an underlying tone of fear and excitement in his voice.

"Nope." River replied, "But what we are watching may be equally as frightening."

-----

Finn couldn't help the way his body flinched away as another jump scare played on the screen.

Okay...

maybe showing freshly undaggered Finn some of my favourite horror movies wasn't the best idea.

"Are you okay?" River questioned cautiously. Finn flinched slightly again at her words, still being very on edge from what he had just witnessed.

"Me?" Finn said as nonchalantly as he could which only resulted in his voice going unnaturally high. "I am completely fine. You know super excited  by all this uh- gore and uh- violence going on." He obviously lied, gesturing to the screen where a character was currently being brutally murdered.

"You're an original vampire." River reminded causing Finn to clear his throat before straightening out his posture to appear unfazed.

"Yeah I am." Finn said to himself.

"This is going to be too hard to watch. Come on." She said, pulling the blanket off of her before she moved so that she was lying parallel to the back of the couch. "Come on." She repeated as she gently tapped the lower part of her chest twice, encouraging Finn to lay there.

Finn quickly complied, resting his head on her chest whilst he clung to the lower parts of her body fearfully. Once River covered herself and Finn with the blanket she was previously using, one of her arms wrapped around Finn's waist, her other hand in his hair.

"You know, I was actually never scared" Finn lied, trying to appear less sensitive for his mate. "This was my plan all along." He continued.

"Sure it was." River deadpanned as she tightened her hold around him, trying to hide how much she enjoyed how vulnerable Finn was with her.

-----

"You need to eat." Finn persisted before he nuzzled deeper into the crook of River's neck.

"We will get there at some point." River reassured before she closed her eyes again, trying to fall back asleep under the darkness Finn's shoulder was providing. 

After watching a few more films, Finn finally fell asleep on River's chest. Once Finn was sleeping calmly, River gained the peace of mind that she hadn't traumatised him and fell asleep soon after. Currently, Finn and River have been awake for almost an hour, neither of them actually wanting to get up. 

"Okay." River said once she woke from her power nap and some of her energy began to return. "We are doing this." She continued, trying to sit up under Finn's body weight. Finn let out a soft grumble before he finally pulled away from her neck and pushed his body up. 

"Fine." Finn muttered before he gently pecked River's lips and stood up off of the couch. Finn then took River's hands as he helped her stand up, her freshly awoken mind still not properly functioning.

"That was somewhat successful." River mumbled as she tried to piece together what they were going to do next.

-----

"What is it?" River asked, reading Finn's expression as she stabbed one of the waffles they had just made with her fork. 

"What?" Finn blurted out, clearly being snapped from his thoughts.

"You want to ask me something." River observed, "What is it?" 

Finn hesitated, not certain whether he wanted an honest answer from her or not.

"Finn." River encouraged, resting her hand in his for reassurance as she sensed his doubt.

"Why did you ask me and not any of my other siblings to spend time with you yesterday?" He asked nervously.

"Are you really questioned why I asked you out?" River teased, her light-hearted response causing relief to flood Finn's mind.

"You know that's not what I meant." Finn stated.

"I know." River said before she ate the small section of her waffle that she had gathered on her fork. "I'm going break it down for you." She started, "Yesterday, when I was deciding which one of your siblings I wanted to ask out, I decided that I was not in the mood to roleplay as a mosquito and drink whoever's blood during the activation or whatever, which was inevitable to happen."

"That is hardly inevitable." Finn countered.

"You've met your siblings" River began, "With them, when there is a will there is a way and I lack the self control to stop their gorgeous selves from getting their way... Anyways, then it was down to you and Elijah. Considering I've known Elijah for like a month longer than you and I have already been out with him I figured it was only fair to ask you. There, that's my explanation."

"That made a lot more sense than I thought it would." Finn muttered.

"I bet you're grateful you asked me now instead of letting it brew in your mind aren't you?" River questioned.

"Yeah." Finn trailed off. "But with that I've got another question."

"And I have most likely got an answer." River said before she ate another piece of her waffle.

"Why did you invite me inside yesterday?" Finn asked.

"Because I wanted to stay home instead of go out for our date." River answered although it sounded more like a question than an answer.

"But I know when Niklaus was here you didn't want to invite him inside." Finn countered.

...do I want to know how he knows Nik and I made out on my porch-

"Nik seems quite a bit more harmful than you." River uttered.

"How so?" Finn questioned.

"Nik is well- you've met him." River explained. "And you're more of a gentle giant." She added, pausing to chose her words carefully.

"A gentle giant?" Finn challenged.

"Mhm." River hummed. "My gentle giant." She mocked.

"Yours?" Finn asked.

"Mine." She confirmed.