Fields of Food and Kisses

"I have to ask" River's grandmother started after a moment, "If you're Elijah, her boyfriend, who are you?"

"I'm Kol." Kol explained, "Her b-"

"Friend." River corrected. After Kol and Elijah had a glaring contest even more intense than when Kol first met River, River, Kol, Elijah, and River's grandmother all gathered in the living room for a cup of tea whilst River's grandmother questioned the boys. "He's Elijah's brother." River added.

"Right." Her grandmother confirmed whilst Delilah, who had come inside to steal some of the cookies River brought simply looked between Elijah and Kol dumbfounded, her gaze focussing on one of Elijah's hands resting on River's thigh, his other hand holding hers.

"But I am arguably the better brother." Kol clarified. "Appearance wise at least." He added with a wink earning him a chuckle from River's grandmother who was coming around to 'coal '.

I can't believe this man is trying to win her over with flirting-

"So," River's grandmother started after a moment, "What are both of your opinions on children?"

Ah for fucks sake

"Nope." River snapped once she finished choking on her tea.

"I had to ask... Brenda got a great-grandkid last May."

"It's not happening."

-----

"I think you've gotten yourself a love triangle as they call it now days." River's grandmother deduced as she placed down her teacup.

"It took you five days to piece that one together?" River challenged, amused by her grandma's comment.

"Took me about 5 minutes once they both arrived but I have been thinking about what I think you should do about it." River's grandmother explained.

"Oh do tell." River urged, knowing that Kol and Elijah were most certainly listening to their conversation.

"Well Elijah, your actual boyfriend, is quite the gentleman." River's grandmother started.

"That he is." River muttered.

"He is very noble and absolutely adores you. Elijah is also rather handsome and that suit thing-" 

"My boyfriend not yours, grandma." River reminded.

"But Kol." Her grandmother continued, ignoring River's comment. "He has quite the sense of humor and is very charming." She analysed. "He is also rather easy on the eyes and boy can that man cook." She ranted, referring to the last week of Kol making dinner and breakfast for the entire family in an attempt to impress her grandparents. "Not to mention that they are both in fact great with Delilah."

"Again with the great-grandkids thing?" River questioned teasingly.

"I'm just trying to help." River's grandmother said, holding up her hands in defence. "But I think they're both amazing it's just a matter of who you feel more like yourself with."

poetic...

"Or who has more money." Her grandma added.

not so poetic...

"Charming." River deadpanned.

"I'm serious." River's grandmother reassured, "It pays off to have money."

"I'm sure it does." River mumbled.

"Are you ready to go?" Kol asked as he entered the room with perfect timing, confirming that he had in fact been listening to them.