The Waiting Game

River stared blankly at the plain wall in front of her. She tried to tune out the constant fighting occurring just a few rooms away. After many attempts to channel her hidden talents of telekinesis to close the door, she gave up, recalling that she was in fact not a witch. 

As the fighting escalated, River felt whoever was laying beside her, tighten their arm around her waist. River couldn't quite remember which one of the Mikaelsons had last substituted in to babysit her, but she doubted it was Henrik as the others didn't want a mortal around her since she stopped feeding.

It wasn't like River had turned her humanity off... or at least she hoped she hadn't because if this existential numbness was the life of a no-humanity vampire, ripper Stefan really oversold that idea.

"Don't listen to them." Finn reassured from behind her before pressing a gentle kiss to River's shoulder. This however, only served as temptation for River as she did exactly what Finn had told her not to.

"She is grieving." Rebekah snapped.

"She is dying." Nik corrected.

dramatic much.

"She just found out she is an orphan and possibly an only child." Elijah challenged.

Charming as always, Elijah.

"Delilah is not dead." Kol objected.

"Well, being in a medically induced coma hardly resembles being alive." Rebekah countered.

"And River allowing herself to desiccate hardly resembles being alive but you don't seem to have a problem with that, now do you?" Nik argued.

"That isn't even remotely similar and you know it." Elijah corrected.

"Not true." Kol objected, "And besides, it has been weeks. It's not healthy."

That seems like my cue to stop listening.

River couldn't even bring herself to roll her eyes at their dramatics. She knew what she was doing wasn't healthy but she still didn't care. Did that make her selfish? Maybe. Her mates were going batshit crazy due to their worries for her, but even if River tried to, it wasn't like she could reassure them.

What was she meant to do? Tell them that she was okay and completely fine after everything? Besides, how long could she actually keep the act up? Their overwhelming levels of anxiety were suffocating her possibly more than her grief. She was trying, she really was, but she just couldn't, not for them at least.

Maybe for someone else though...

A key detail that Meredith had left out of her initial phone call to River was that it wasn't just her parents who were in the car. Of course the one time her parents decided to acknowledge Delilah they ended up- 

anyways...

The reason that Meredith hadn't mentioned Delilah until later was a result of Delilah having survived and her parents having- well.. not.

Due to the severity of Delilah's injuries however, she was induced into to coma for some medical- doctorey- greysanatomy-ey reason. Whilst she was in this state however, vampire blood wouldn't work on her and under compulsion, the doctors revealed they didn't think she was strong enough to wake up even if she could get the vampire blood instantly.

And this introduced the waiting game...

Spoiler alert, it's been going on for a month with a non-existent success rate.

------

"I'm sorry." River uttered quietly into the silent room. "Not that you can hear me... Or maybe you can. Being unconscious but still wanting to hear about my life seems like something you'd do."

River gaze faltered as she ran her thumb over Delilah's knuckles. They were cool, not dead body cool, but just cooler than the human body should be. Maybe it was just River's heightened senses making her notice now or maybe it was a result of Delilah dying... or resurrecting you can never tell with that girl.

"Is it a symptom of psychosis that I still talk to you? I feel a bit crazy whenever I do it. Part of me believes that you hear it though, so I guess that's why I keep coming here." River rambled, shifting in her seat next to Delilah's hospital bed uncomfortably. "The Mikaelsons still haven't figured out that I come here yet." River continued. "Somehow they all seem to sleep through me leaving every night. It's not that I don't want them to find out, if anything it would be good for them to know I'm not a sociopath who doesn't care about you, I just don't want them to try and stop me.

"I know they're worried about that vampire hunter, the 5 or something like that. I don't know, sounds like a shitty name if you ask me and that they're just trying to overcompensate for something..."

*cough* small dick *cough cough*

"But at least with coming here at night I've figured out the whole compulsion thing, " River explained, "And that hospital staff and almost everyone in town is on vervain but it's okay since I compelled them pre-town's-water-supply-spiking-with-vervain."

"Everyone's worried about you." River ranted, "Especially Kol whether he shows it or not."

"I think it's because he can't find anyone else willing to play Uno with him but maybe there's another reason behind it." River added. River then trailed her finger over Delilah's hand again before checking the time on her phone.

"5:55," River announced. "Bonus points for irony." She muttered. "555 is the angel number which symbolises positive change and new beginnings yet you're still..."

"Okay," River started again after a moment, turning to face Delilah even more, trying to alter the circumstances in her mind, "I'm going to need an honest answer on this one, please, I expect you to send me sign."

River paused for a moment, trying to figure out what to say.

"Would you forgive me if I did Mom and Dad's funeral before you woke up?" River asked cautiously after a moment, her tone implying she almost believed Delilah would spring to life and slap her across the face at her suggestion.

"I know you would want to be there and as much as the doctors keep saying you're chances aren't good I know how stubborn you are so something's telling me you're not losing this fight." River explained, "But I can't keep waiting. For them, I want to do it soon. So either resurrect ASAP, give me a sign or be ready to fight me once you wake up."

River then stood from her seat, standing as close as she could to the side of Delilah's hospital bed. She relished in the silence for a moment, allowing herself to take a few deep breaths.

"I think I should probably go now, give you some time to sit here silently or think about whatever you think about all day considering I'm here practically all night." She rambled. River then hesitated before she could step away, "I love you, Lilah." River stated, "So fucking much, don't you ever forget that." She added before she finally brought herself to leave.

Who's cutting onions?